FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Delorean Radio Upgrade Decision

My VIN:    781

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    If you aren't an audiophile, I'll throw in another vote for keeping the stock radio. I replaced my stock speakers with Inifity Kappas and installed the iSimple FM Modulator ($25 shipped) for aux in.

Yes it isn't super powerful, but at 75% volume it hurts my ears anyway so I don't need more power. I also bought the DMC-CA kicker subwoofer and enclosure to balance it out though I haven't installed my amp yet.

It doesn't sound as perfect as a modern unit, but for a very subtle difference in quality I personally thought it was worth maintaining the original appearance of the Craig.
    This strikes me as a very interesting option as perfect sound quality isn't a necessity. I know you touched on the sound strength, but what about clarity? Does the sound ever get too much static from competing signals?

Also, until this thread, I hadn't heard of the infinity kappas before but everyone seems to be bringing them up for a good stock locations replacement. I'll definitely have to check them out as I don't plan on adding speakers to any new locations. Do they make sizes to fit both front and back (A quick google search brings up the 3.5 front speakers but no 4 x 10 rear)?
    When this baby hits 88 miles per hour...your going over the speed limit.

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by TripleZeroFilms View Post
    This strikes me as a very interesting option as perfect sound quality isn't a necessity. I know you touched on the sound strength, but what about clarity? Does the sound ever get too much static from competing signals?

Also, until this thread, I hadn't heard of the infinity kappas before but everyone seems to be bringing them up for a good stock locations replacement. I'll definitely have to check them out as I don't plan on adding speakers to any new locations. Do they make sizes to fit both front and back (A quick google search brings up the 3.5 front speakers but no 4 x 10 rear)?

I have Infinity 52.9 speakers in the rear stock locations and Infinity 32.9 speakers in the front. Both of these are no longer being produced, but fit well in the stock locations. You should be able to find them if you look around. I found my 32.9's on eBay in brand new condition.

Because I'm using an FM modulator, there is some light static at high volume. The only way around that is to modify your Craig with an aux soldered in.
    David Proehl

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Here are the instructions (from Todd) I found a few weeks ago on how to add an aux to your Craig and install a switch to disable the receiver unit when using the AUX. Sounds like a great plan and I will definitely try it on my Craig.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

1) You're better off replacing the 4x10s in the rear with round speakers. 5.25" fit fine. I believe that at least one person squeezed 6" speakers in the stock rear locations, but had to significantly alter the speaker's basket to make them fit.

2) If you're going to use an external amp to drive all the speakers, then you can use the 2 ohm versions of the Infinity Kappas without issue, however, if you're using the Craig's op amps to drive them, then you'll want to stick with 4 ohm speakers only. To get the most out of new speakers though, you'll want to use an external amp to drive them, especially if you're retaining your the Craig as a HU.

3) No matter what 5.25" speaker you decide to go with for the rears, they're best used for mid-bass to high frequencies only. If you want bass and sub-bass frequencies, you'll want to add an amplified sub of some sort. The driver's side cubby is a popular location to mount a sub.

4) If you're going with a 4.1 setup (4 coaxial speakers and a sub), then you may as well get a 5 channel amp to power everything. Again, if you get an amp with an aux input, you can then use the Craig solely for tuner and cassette functions and not have to modify it at all. You'll also get better sound quality by by-passing the Craig and running your DAP (digital audio player) directly into an aux capable external amp.
    Last edited by NightFlyer; 04-17-2014 at 02:27 AM.

My VIN:    First 700

Have a look at these plates that let you easily put a 5.25 into a 4x10 speaker hole. Note that Fieros have the same speaker. I have attached a file that has the template the Fiero guys made. You can use thin wood, like balsa, for it.

Plastic version of the plate you can buy:
    http://www.tlg-auto.com/fiero-4x10-i...aker-adapters/

If you really want to use a 4x10 speaker then Memphis Audio is the best made today. Because 10 inches is so much longer than 4, it makes the speaker move funny...imagine if you had something touching the speaker all the time, it will never sound perfect like a round.
    http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/produ...ers/15prx4102/

speaker plate.doc

My VIN:    6679

Very interesting Flicky!!!
    Chris

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    ...Again, if you get an amp with an aux input, you can then use the Craig solely for tuner and cassette functions and not have to modify it at all. You'll also get better sound quality by by-passing the Craig and running your DAP (digital audio player) directly into an aux capable external amp.
    Wow! I learned something new. This solution never crossed my mind. I guess I have to do some investigation into Amps with full power and AUX input. I guess that there are AMPs that turn themselves off if no signal is provided...or I could tie it into the ignition circuit. That sounds so much better and less intrusion for the Craig.

I never understood why AMP manufacturers would not simply produce an AMP with a Bluetooth connector and release an iOS and Android APP to play the music and do all the adjustments (EQ, volume, etc.) through the APP. It would save them so much money that they have to pour into the development of a HU electronics and nearly everybody has a smartphone these days. But that is another topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Flicky View Post
    Have a look at these plates that let you easily put a 5.25 into a 4x10 speaker hole. Note that Fieros have the same speaker. I have attached a file that has the template the Fiero guys made. You can use thin wood, like balsa, for it.

Plastic version of the plate you can buy:
    http://www.tlg-auto.com/fiero-4x10-i...aker-adapters/

If you really want to use a 4x10 speaker then Memphis Audio is the best made today. Because 10 inches is so much longer than 4, it makes the speaker move funny...imagine if you had something touching the speaker all the time, it will never sound perfect like a round.
    http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/produ...ers/15prx4102/

speaker plate.doc
    Hey Flicky have you used this bracket yourself?

My VIN:    1494

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by papanoel View Post
    Hey Flicky have you used this bracket yourself?
    Also, what is the point of the bracket if the rears are just held in with clamps around the bracket? Couldn't you just put the round speakers in the same bracket (bend it a bit and get a bigger clamp)?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steve Cosgrove, Vin. 1494
    "I'm Kicking Through The Walls In My Mind..." - Goo Goo Dolls
    On-going Engine and Car Modifications: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?50...Engine-Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Grover View Post
    Also, what is the point of the bracket if the rears are just held in with clamps around the bracket? Couldn't you just put the round speakers in the same bracket (bend it a bit and get a bigger clamp)?
    yeah i don't see the point either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2