FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Idea for phone holder replacement for ash tray.

My VIN:    3610

Idea for phone holder replacement for ash tray.

Hey, I had my ash tray out and my phone was right beside it, I noticed there was enough room even with my bulky phone case for my iPhone to fit in the ash tray hole.

I don't have the engineering skill required to mock-up a prototype, but I did make a rough sketch of my idea.

The carrier should allow for a charging cable installed into the car, and could if someone can figure it out flip up and swivel towards the driver.image.jpg

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

This is a great opportunity to teach yourself! Looks like a good idea; start spitballing ways to make it! MDF, particle board, fiberglass, bondo, are all pretty easy to work with. Or download one of the free 3d modeling programs and upload your design to shapeways.com They'll rapid prototype anything you send them. They'll charge you per square centimeter of material usage, at different rates depending on which material you choose. They have tons of materials to choose from; plastics, metals, composites, and more. They'll laser sinter it out of stainless steel if you want!

Looks like a good idea to me. Don't let not knowing how to do it keep you from learning and trying!

Whatevet you do, keep in mind technology is changing everyday, leave room for changes.

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

I don't want to be part of the Human race Roman Legion's Avatar

My VIN:    VIN in progress.

Club(s):   (DCVA) (LVDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I could have sworn I seen a picture of someone making an ipod dock int their D and that's something I considered doing when I get my D. Wish I had an interface for a smartphone on an LCD display so I can Ingress with greater ease.

Quote Originally Posted by LEVY View Post
    Whatevet you do, keep in mind technology is changing everyday, leave room for changes.

LEVY
    Future proof!

<EDIT> Did a google search for a cool image for future proof and ran into these..lol

Last edited by Roman Legion; 04-23-2014 at 11:50 PM.

My VIN:    05141

I modified that 5 years ago.
    It is acually still the same ashtray, but I removed the plastic on top and glued in a soft black 1mm thick foam.
    My phone then fit perfectly but the I phone is just too big.

Jan
    Attached Images

Steering with power

My VIN:    4494

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Legion View Post
    Future proof!
    Why, what a coincidence...

wings.jpg

Back on topic; I'd been thinking about something similar myself. I have a Nexus 5, so I thought above a fold-out mount with wireless charging built in. There are some good instructables on static version, I just need time to work out the mechanics of fitting it in the ash-try space in a non-destructive mannger along with a good folding mechanism.

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

I went a different way and made the ash tray an audio/data hub to my stereo. (there is a thread about it somewhere) I wanted something a bit retro looking. It backlights when the ashtray is open (graphic overlay). I just keep my phone in the coin tray.

image.jpg
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

My VIN:    6679

Quote Originally Posted by kajcienski View Post
    I went a different way and made the ash tray an audio/data hub to my stereo. (there is a thread about it somewhere) I wanted something a bit retro looking. It backlights when the ashtray is open (graphic overlay). I just keep my phone in the coin tray.

image.jpg
    I went similar (and yet different) - chose not to bother with a holder and instead provided sockets at the coin tray (which I've made deeper so the contents don't slide out) since that's where I toss my phone. I used to be a fan of car mounts in my pre-smartphone days, but the number of times I upgraded my phone to a different make/model quickly turned me against the never ending need for different shape mounts/holders. That said, nothing beats simply plonking a phone onto a stand and it staying upright and automatically plugged in...

Chris

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Tillsy View Post
    Are those the straw and ketchup packet holders from Jack in the Box?

Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    3610

Anyone can use the design I drew up, and if they can make a nice one I'll buy it. I literally don't have the free time to make a model in software, produce product, or anything needed to bring it to life.