FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spark plugs/wires help

My VIN:    17019

Spark plugs/wires help

Hi everybody

You guys have been a great help, now for another question.

How do you change the spark plug wires? I mean just getting to them at the back of the engine looks like an interesting procedure.

Dave at DMC Midwest suggested to remove the idle motor and fuel injection lines, which makes sense, but does anyone else have any other suggestions or tricks?

Thanks again!

My VIN:    3299

Some people say you can just "loosen" the air plenum/fuel mixture unit (the piece consisting of the throttle butterfly plates back to the fuel distributor [FD]), and you can get to the distributor cap to change the plug wires.

Personally, I would just remove it. The 6 fuel lines don't need to go in any one order, so as long as you keep track of where the other lines go on the FD, you'll be good. It just makes life much easier to me.

An excellent How-To for removing the intake manifold is here: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?42...ghlight=intake

Obviously, you don't need to do THAT...follow up to the end of Step 8.

Once again, you do NOT have to remove the fuel mixture unit, but to me, it's just easier to do it - provides me more room to move around and much better visibility on the distributor cap. YMMV.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Going to jump in here, slightly off topic if that's ok, I'm doing the same job shortly,
    Recomended plug gap? Thanks

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by Gfrank View Post
    Going to jump in here, slightly off topic if that's ok, I'm doing the same job shortly,
    Recomended plug gap? Thanks
    If your ignition system is stock, then run the stock plug gap = .024"

If you're running some kind of HEI, then you'll want to open up the plug gap, usually to around double the stock spec = .048"

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    If you're running some kind of HEI, then you'll want to open up the plug gap, usually to around double the stock spec = .048"
    And then start frying the distributor cap and rotor.

The system is designed around the smaller gap which electrically sets the system voltage (it takes a certain amount of voltage to jump a specific plug gap under specific circumstances). When you raise the gap the voltage required goes up as well. The stock coil may not keep up (and the car would run poorly under load), but a high output coil will keep up. Unfortunately the distributor cap /rotor is engineered for the lower voltage (there is a resistor in the rotor for RFI purposes) and when you raise the voltage in there, bad things can happen, minimally lower life of the components. And I've never seen any proof that raising the spark gap has any impact at all on how well the fuel mixture explodes in a stock engine. So - why? [If you are going high pressure, i.e. compression, turbo, blower etc., you are changing everything and it may make sense).

When you start modifying parts of the car, you need to understand whole systems and not just individual pieces of it. I have not seen a performance version of the cap and rotor yet, it's the weak link in the high voltage part of the system.

This is another potential advantage of an EFI system that has the capability of operating coil packs, now you've eliminated the cap and rotor.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    And then start frying the distributor cap and rotor.

The system is designed around the smaller gap which electrically sets the system voltage (it takes a certain amount of voltage to jump a specific plug gap under specific circumstances). When you raise the gap the voltage required goes up as well. The stock coil may not keep up (and the car would run poorly under load), but a high output coil will keep up. Unfortunately the distributor cap /rotor is engineered for the lower voltage (there is a resistor in the rotor for RFI purposes) and when you raise the voltage in there, bad things can happen, minimally lower life of the components. And I've never seen any proof that raising the spark gap has any impact at all on how well the fuel mixture explodes in a stock engine. So - why? [If you are going high pressure, i.e. compression, turbo, blower etc., you are changing everything and it may make sense).

When you start modifying parts of the car, you need to understand whole systems and not just individual pieces of it. I have not seen a performance version of the cap and rotor yet, it's the weak link in the high voltage part of the system.

This is another potential advantage of an EFI system that has the capability of operating coil packs, now you've eliminated the cap and rotor.
    I agree 100% with you on the theory/engineering and especially on the WHY - but as you know, Bill R. and several others are running what Bill refers to as HEI:
    1) Suitable coil (Bosch blue coil is not suitable)
    2) Increased voltage into the coil
    3) Widened spark plug gap
    As far as I'm personally aware, no one running such a set up has any issues with frying the cap/rotor (though that could explain what happened to Farrar's car, but that remains to be seen).

I just thought I'd mention it, as you never know what kind of stuff people are running for whatever reasons.

Banned

BTW - If Bill were here, he would have used the term 'nonsense' and the phrase 'thank you very much,' so I just thought I'd throw those into the thread for good measure

Bill and others have and continue to prove that you can run stronger voltage into the cap/rotor without experiencing meltdowns.

My VIN:    17019

Thanks for the help everybody. The process has begun. The repeated phrase from my father and uncle is "Why the hell would they put it there/make it that way?"

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by penciltester View Post
    Thanks for the help everybody. The process has begun. The repeated phrase from my father and uncle is "Why the hell would they put it there/make it that way?"
    Over the years on this forum there have been several instances of no start. Eventually the trouble was diagnosed to be a none-OEM coil. For whatever reason the system does not tolerate "High Performance" type coils. As Dave S points out, you cannot bolt on a few parts and expect an improvement in performance. The motor was engineered as a system and unless you approach improvement from a systems point if view, adding a few random parts can't make any difference. Of course there is the psychological effect. In fact, my car seems to run better right after I clean it or change the oil! The other effect is if you replace an old, worn out part with a "performance" part you may notice an improvement just because the newer part replaced and old, worn out part. Not a very objective way to measure improvement.
    David Teitelbaum

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

In regards to the OP, I've swapped the plugs and wires without disconnecting a single fuel line. First remove the idle speed motor and "pipe of agony". Next disconnect the linkage between the throttle spool and butterfly valves at the air metering unit. Now remove the 4 bolts holding the W pipe to the intake manifold. Finally, remove the bolts that hold the air meter brackets in place. You can now move the whole air metering unit (with W pipe) up and towards you which will expose the distributor. It's still tight, but at least you don't have to disconnect any fuel lines. However, if you do decide to remove the whole air meter for even easier access, make sure to order new copper O-rings. You can't reuse the ones currently on the fuel banjo bolts.

When reinstalling, here's a trick to turn the "pipe of agony" into the "pipe of minor inconvenience". Put a bright light on the side of the engine. Now push the air metering flap all the way down and look inside. Adjust the light until you see it shining through the hole. Now when you start to reinsert the pipe, you can see when it's close and will help guide you through. First time I tried it this way, took me about a minute to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast