FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Splitting engine from auto gearbox whilst in car

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    On the manual anyway, there's a magnetic pickup on the flywheel inspection plate that doesn't connect to anything but the diagnostic port, which no one has the tool to connect to anyway.
    Thanks! That's interesting and good to know!
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    16797

Club(s):   (DOI)

Nice

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    Without going into too much detail on what to disconnect etc, I'm sure you're capable there. Dont forget the sh!t sheld underneath and the plate on the left with the pointless TDC sensor.

Remove starter motor, rotate engine until you can access one of the three 17mm stumpy bolts that attach the flex plate to the torque converter. These are a pain because there's not quite enough access to get a socket on them. Get a stumpy ring spanner onto the bolt head and using a socket on the crankshaft nut, rotate the engine to the RIGHT (doing up the nut) until the spanner fetches up against something, then heave-ho on the nut. This will crack off the bolt. Remove bolt. Now rotate engine 120 degrees and repeat x2.
    Great tip on the TDC sensor and the flex plate bolts, all came apart well and engine is now out.

I made one small cock up not noticing that the auto trans fluid dipstick was connected to the engine and it wasn't until I started moving the engine backwards and fluid started pissing out of the trans sump that I realised what I had done.

I'll have to investigate I hope I haven't done too much damage.

J

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Just did mine using a 36mm. It will work but kind of put a little dent on the sides of the nut where it was too big.

The Workshop manual has the procedure. Be sure to support the motor from below with a small bottle jack as you remove the transmission. Mark the position of the flex plate to the flywheel to aid in lining things up when you reassemble.
    David Teitelbaum

There is no flywheel... the flex plate is the equivalent?
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The Workshop manual has the procedure. Be sure to support the motor from below with a small bottle jack as you remove the transmission. Mark the position of the flex plate to the flywheel to aid in lining things up when you reassemble.
    I supported the transmission with a rope under it and around the crossover bar at the front of the engine bay, I though that was safer than relying on a bottle jack while jumping around wiggling the engine.

Did you mean flex plate to torque converter? No real flywheel as such, just the flex plate.

J

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2