FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No Start

No Start

I've just replaced the fuel accumulator, and now my baby won't start. She'll catch for a second or two and then die out. I've checked the lines, no kinks, no leaks. Whats wrong? HELP!

I am probably wrong in my opinion here. But I'll try anyways. I can see two possibilities. One it may not have had enough chance to prime and build up pressure to keep the car running, doubtful. Two would be that you have tried to start it enough times that the car has been flooded or by turning the key forward to let the engine prime it has gotten flooded.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

See if it will start doing the plug swap.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    See if it will start doing the plug swap.
    David Teitelbaum
    Try that or jump the rpm relay and see if it will start
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

My VIN:    3299

Ok guys. Let's fill him in on what you're telling him. With 2 posts to his name, we have no idea if he knows what "the plug swap" means, or if he even knows what the RPM relay is. Let's fill in the blanks a bit.

First thirdman, get in your car. Turn the key to where the lights all come on (battery light specifically) but you are not trying to turn the engine over (you're not trying to start the car). This gives the fuel pump a moment to prime. Now, try turning the engine over (in other words, turn the key as far as possible as if you're trying to start the car), and pump the accelerator pedal while you do it (assuming you have an auto transmission). Sometimes, you can get the engine to catch by pumping the pedal, and the car may hold on long enough to start and idle properly. This would help get fuel through the fuel system - something that may not be the case if you just replaced the accumulator, and the fuel system hasn't had a chance to get fuel through the components.

If that doesn't work, do "the plug swap" as mentioned earlier. If you do not know what that means, this is what it means. There are two devices in your engine bay - the cold start valve and the control pressure regulator. Nevermind what they do, these are pictures of each:

The control pressure regulator: it'll be on the driver's side valve cover of the engine. It'll be directly north of the tube where you pour new oil in whenever you do an oil change (I'm assuming you've done oil changes, if not just look for the tube with a "little black hat" on the end. Right above that tube is the location of the control pressure regulator):

The cold start valve:

Now, you'll note there are "plugs" on each device - a blue one on the cold start valve (CSV) and a "grey" one on the control pressure regulator (CPR). Take the blue one off of the CSV, and take the grey one off the CPR. Hook the grey one onto the CSV, but DO NOT put the blue one on the CPR. Now, go try to start your car. It should start, and it'll be kind of "rough running." While this is happening, put the plugs back in their respective places (blue on CSV, grey on CPR). The car should hang on and idle smoothly after a couple seconds.

If that doesn't work, trying "jumping the RPM" relay. The RPM relay is located in the electrical compartment behind the passenger's seat. It looks like this:

Once you've located it, unplug it from the electrical connector it's hooked up to. It'll only go back on one way specifically, so don't worry about how to reconnect when the time comes. From there, you need to devise a "jumper" - a wire with 2 male spade connectors - one on each end of the wire. Spade connectors typically are rectangular in shape. Once you've made the jiumper, "jump the RPM relay" as seen in this picture:

This, in essence, forces the fuel pump to run even if you are not trying to start the car. Once you've jumped the RPM relay as seen in the picture above, try to start your car. If it starts in this case, your RPM relay may be working intermittently. Unhook your jumper, re-hook the RPM back up to the electrical plug, and try to start your car normally. If it starts, good deal. If not, might need to look into a new RPM relay.

I hope I didn't come off as rude to the people who have made suggestions - I just wanted to fill in the details.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

That last post by J. would be handy to have in the "How To" for future quick reference on no start threads.

thirdmanj, keep us posted. We'll git 'er goin.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Yaaaaay!!!

Well I got her going..... it was my bust. I was trying to reuse the old lines without knowing about the properties involved with the original "sweated" ones (I had two kinks that I hadn't seen). A rookie mistake. ALWAYS REPLACE OLD LINES! Delorean03, thank you so much for your very detailed post, I'll store it for future use, I may need it. Well she's a happy girl now, while she was up I also replaced the fuel filter, that one was much easier. But again, thanks again all, soooo much!

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Have a nice drive!

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    Delorean03, thank you so much for your very detailed post, I'll store it for future use, I may need it.

Thank you, sir (: . I am glad you got your car running. Was it the old rubber lines that were kinked on your new fuel accumulator? I just wanted to make sure I understood what happened, as any experience is good to know!

And thank you to those of you saying nice things to me about recent posts both publicly and privately. I know it can be very intimidating working on the DeLorean by yourself with no one to turn to and ask "What do we do now??" I just want to help whenever I can, and hey, if someone else's advice is what gets you up and running - by all means - I want to know and learn!

It's all about working together and helping each other out!
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Like a champ!!

That fuel filter I replaced was only two years old, and the gas coming out of it looked very clean, but I guess it was time, there is a noticeable difference in her performance. The really exciting news is the newly installed fuel accumulator! HOLY SHIT what a change! I barely even have to tap the ignition and that baby starts right up! I noticed she was being wonky on hot starts, so I figured WTH, replace the accumulator. Sure enough, perfect. I highly recommend dropping your old one and replacing it with a new one... AND USE THE NEW HOSES DMCH SENDS WITH IT!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast