FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: car died !!! Please help guys !!

My VIN:    5662

car died !!! Please help guys !!

OK....I was on the way home and car was running fine then about a few blocks away from the house car started to hesitate and lose power. I made it home but now car will not start. If I step on gas pedal while cranking it seems like it's about to start but doesn't..I did get it to start after a few trys but I had to keep the gas pedal floored to keep it running and it was just sputtering....no power !!!! details on car are tune up done last year, fuel system done in 2012 most relays are new......please guys put me in the right direction.....dirty injectors ??

My VIN:    03572

Can you hear the fuel pump prime? First thing to do is jumper the RPM relay and see if that fixes the problem.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    3937

From your description it sounds like it is starving for fuel for one reason or another.

1.) Is your gas tank full or at least not empty?

2.) How hot was it there today? Perhaps your fuel in the tank was getting pretty hot itself from continuous driving as well as the ambient temperature being high and this is causing your pick-up hose under the fuel pump to sag. Kind of like a straw folds in on itself when you suck too hard on it.

3.) Maybe something plugging up the fuel filter? Is the filter new/old? Any reason to think something foreign got into your fuel tank and this has now travelled downstream somewhere?

4.) If you think the fuel pump itself is cutting in and out potentially, this could be a bad connection on the RPM relay or something wonky going on with the inertia switch killing power to the pump intermittently and briefly (not very likely I would guess). Or the pump is on it's way out. Has it been making a lot of odd noises of late?

5.) Could just be old gas too if your car was stored for the winter. Fill it up with fresh gas if you have that option.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

I tried a few common things.......I can hear the pump run when I turn the key and i did the jump with the RPM relay. I also swapped the relay with a backup one that i have..pulled the CSV plug....swapped plugs.... I checked voltage on the resistor and coil and all seem good...the intake plate seems to have good pressure after a few key turns but still no start.......Its an all of a sudden starting issue...was running fine just 2 hours ago.....

fuel pump was replaced in 2012 but i did recheck 10 mins ago and looks clear with nothing blocking...car was not stored for winter since we kinda dont have a winter have been driving around town running errands for the past few weeks with no problem...no cold or hot problems..

My VIN:    3937

Hehe, yea, I figured about the no winter thing

Can you remember where you got your last fill-up? Maybe the gas wasn't fresh or got contaminated somehow? It's easy to rule out if you can start with a fresh tank of gas you know is ok.

In the meantime, maybe get into the fuse and relay area and ensure everything is tight and making good connections. What many of us do when we "un-winter" our cars is to go through each fuse or relay and take them out and put them back in a couple times just to inspect and rub off any corrosion. Could be something as simple as a connection got loose. You know how silly these cars can be

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Very true.....Since daylight is gone I'll hit the fuses and relays in the morning...I hope its that simple !!! fingers crossed !!!

but would that make the car all of a sudden hesitate and lose power while still in motion ??

Fuel spraying ?

Spark ?

ok...check all relays and fuses...all good...check fuel spray....5 injectors look good...didn't check last one !!!.....checked spark and i have spark but how do i know if i have enough spark....bad coil ?? i have 4.8v on the positive side of the coil...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast