FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Automatic Transmission Fluid - types and amounts?

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Automatic Transmission Fluid - types and amounts?

What kind of fluid should I put in my automatic transmission, and how much? The pan has been dropped and the torque converter drained.

I also drained the final drive oil. What should I use there? How much?

Thanks,

--buddy

My VIN:    16409

The automatic transmission uses Dextron (Dexron) II type fluid. I believe if the bottle says Dextron III it should be fine, it's just a newer specification. Not sure on the volume of Automatic tranny fluid (4 quarts maybe?).

Now, the final drive uses the same kind of gear oil as the manual transmission. Get an 80 weight gear oil with the API GL5 specification. The manual says the final drive takes 1.5L of oil.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

DexIII for the auto box will do ya.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    The automatic transmission uses Dextron (Dexron) II type fluid. I believe if the bottle says Dextron III it should be fine, it's just a newer specification. Not sure on the volume of Automatic tranny fluid (4 quarts maybe?).

Now, the final drive uses the same kind of gear oil as the manual transmission. Get an 80 weight gear oil with the API GL5 specification. The manual says the final drive takes 1.5L of oil.
    All I could find was 80W-90. Is this the same thing? Or should I go to a store with a better selection?

--buddy

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

A note to those who read this thread in the future - BEFORE you drain the oil from your final drive - remove the fill plug first. If you can't get the fill plug open, you don't want to drain you fluid until you address that problem first.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The automatic part (dipstick) takes Dexron III ATF. About 4 quarts for a drain and fill but if you dumped the converter it will be a couple more quarts. It's pretty twitchy about levels, generally we put in 3 and start checking it as it warms up. If its a quart low it will shift strange or even slip. If it is too full it will leak. More than usual.

The differential part takes 80W90 or so common gear oil (about 2 quarts).
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC