FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I need a longer bolt to get running again.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

bolt

Ace is the place?

My VIN:    1597

Well its something for everyone to check. 75mm imo is on the short side and can vibrate out. No clue when mine fell out but slowly but surely the butterfly assembly moved backwards until where the plastic ring and the o rings are opened up enough to kill the engine. Whats odd "and fortunate" is that the car ran great until I parked it. 3 hours later apon restart I had a backfire and the engine would not start again. So I was lucky as hell it moved on restart and not while I was driving.

Here is something else that bothers me. Not bolted up but if I position the W pipe flush where it goes. Then move the butterfly assembly flush with it. Now if I push DOWN on the air meter assembly so its flush it PULLS the butterfly assembly a little forwards creating this gap. NOTE- In the pic I DO NOT have the O rings or plastic ones in place.
    I am guessing that 7mm bolt is going to hold the W and butter/assy together but when you put on the air filter its going to push down on the air meter and ... BTW- This is exactly what happens when that 7mm bolt falls out.

First things first...Going to pay 6-10 bucks shipping and wait a week for a dollar bolt. Yeeehaaaaa the joys of owning a classic car.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 04-29-2014 at 07:22 PM.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    Ace is the place?
    ACE has a very small M7 selection. In the rest of the world, M7 is a very atypical screw size. Just like the M9 in hype shiftronic pivot, the M9s that hold on a DeLorean flywheel, or the M11s that hold on my flywheel. All very unusual. The flywheels make sense though since they don't want you using bolts not made for that application.

I posted in the wanted section but if anyone has Part #:102772 GSKT-LWR HSG/T/V. That the black thick gasket betreen the butteryfly assy and the air meter. Mine appears to be not be leaking but does look old.
    If anyone has one pm me.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Since the new bolt sticks out of the W pipe and it starts within a thread or so in the butterfly assembly, it sounds like an alignment problem?? Try loosening/removing the two lower bracket screws (going through #6 and #20) to get some slop and install the bolt....then adjust/bend the brackets, change/remove any spacers between them and the intake manifold, whatever it takes to relieve any major stress with it all installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    ACE has a very small M7 selection.
    The one here has M7 threaded rods and nuts...
    Last edited by Ron; 04-29-2014 at 07:38 PM.

I looked at it a dozen times. It just is not long enough. The W pipe can only go so far forwards and flush. I can pull that butt/assy and mate it flush and tight. And then even take off the rubber O rings and that plastic spacer which is a few MM and its still short.

"The one here has M7 threaded rods and nuts" I have not search the links provided on the 1st page but it needs to be 100mm. Thow 1 and a lock washer in the mail and I will zap PP you the cash.
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 04-29-2014 at 07:43 PM.

My VIN:    03572

If the stock bolt is short it would explain why the pot metal threads get messed up. You can go really long if you drill that pot metal all the way through and tap through. I drilled mine all the way through and then you don't have to use a lot of flat washers with longer bolts. Only problem with my M8 bolt is I have to remove that small bolt in front to get a socket on the M8. The good thing with an M8 is you can get stainless steel.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

OK...How fa$t do you want it?

I just don't see how it can be too short if the threads in the butterfly are OK
    Last edited by Ron; 04-29-2014 at 07:54 PM.

This is one of those wtf moments. I can put the bolt in the W pipe and see how much sticks out.When I go to mate it with the butt/fly you can get a peak and it SEEMS like if flush its long enough.Especially with the o rings off.But in practice when you start turning the bolt it just spins.Its not hitting anything.I just fought with it for 10 minutes. The sob aint going in! The threads on the butterfly it take maybe 3 flicks of the wrist till the bolt bites.Maybe ,I dunno 3mm or so..... Its gotta be the depth it takes to take hold is just to deep for the bolt length.
    I know you got to go up some mountains to get it. No big rush but in the next week would be nice.
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 04-29-2014 at 08:18 PM.

PP?? No way -- I don't trust you!

You would have to bite the bullet and go after an unknown number of washers anyway...so, why don't you go to Ace and pick up a 7mm tap and drill bit set (or 8mm if needed) to match one of the bolts NF pointed to (if they don't stock them)?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast