FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I need a longer bolt to get running again.

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Ok, I searched high and low all over the southland and hired a guide to check both Canada and South America, and nothing. Until I came across this website:

http://store.delorean.com/p-6434-screw-m7.aspx

Is going through a DMC dealer of your choice not an option? I'm guessing this is a time sensitive issue? The exact bolt you need is listed as NOS. No tapping required.

Good luck!

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Banned

My VIN:    1798

If 100mm is too long, you could always use a bolt cutter or cutting wheel to shorten it to the length you desire.

My VIN:    1597

Good grief.
    I ordered TWO of those,payed for 3 day UPS and 6 days later they arrived today. It is not LONG enough.That is the correct bolt but in my situation and many others who contacted me what happens is the threads on the butterfly get stripped.Some go to a larger diameter bolt. Its one of those many "single little things" that when it fails the dam car will not run. In my case the bolt needs only a few turns before it catches then its a good strong bite. But its not long enough. Add the washer,the plastic ring and the rubber ring and there aint no way in hell its going to belong enough. The proper thing to do would be to fix with a proper 7 mm Helicoil. I have never done that and stand a better chance of making it worse.Besides the black rubber gasket that sits betreen the buterfly and the air meter is unobtainable. I would need to take it off and again take the chance of mucking it up.
    Thats why I just want to try and slightly longer bolt.
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 04-29-2014 at 11:04 PM.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Ahh, when you were saying take a bite or take hold, I thought you meant the threads starting... Sorry. I'd go get a 8mm tap and matched drill bit, slightly longer bolt, washers, and, be done with it since it's definitely stripped. You have a good pilot hole and nothing to match but getting the length fairly close...

Banned

OK - Found it for you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metric-Hex-B...item3cd4985cc7

You can select a grade 8.8 m7 x 80mm bolt from the drop down menu for $5.75 plus $1 shipping = $6.75

The stated length is excluding the head, so the 80mm should hopefully be perfect for you!

As they are sold in pairs, you get two for that price.

Best luck!

Banned

If 80mm isn't long enough, then the final solution that I've got is to get a 100mm m7 threaded bar, cut off the access length (but leave enough to grab with a vice grip), and nut it, essentially turning the bolt into a stud:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M7-THREADED-...-/270730462488

Ok I think we have a plan.
    It does appear the butterfly is stripped.You can tighten the bolt and not pull it out but if you shake it side to side it pops out.
    The solution is I am going to move up to a 8mm bolt. I understand its a common size so I will get the 8mm tap and matching drill bit. Then find a 8mm bolt the correct lenght.
    I have never done it but with a good pilot hole already there I think I can get it done.
    Man I can come up with some got good ideas.

My VIN:    03572

When you tap soft metal, don't force the tap if it starts to get hard to turn. Back it out and clean the chips off the tap. Keep doing that and take your time. Most of the time steel or cast iron can be tapped without that extra work but I never rush it. You don't want to break a tap off and ruin your day.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

It is going to be a few days if not longer but where did you get the tap and matching drill bit? I was half asleep last night and saw a lot of full kits,a bunch of helicoils. Either online or local. I know I need 8mm but I see they are available in 8mm x 1.0...1.25...etc. Its that number I am not 100% certain what I need.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    It is going to be a few days if not longer but where did you get the tap and matching drill bit? I was half asleep last night and saw a lot of full kits,a bunch of helicoils. Either online or local. I know I need 8mm but I see they are available in 8mm x 1.0...1.25...etc. Its that number I am not 100% certain what I need.
    Just go to a hardware store and buy the one tap and one drill you need. The tap should say what drill you need on the package. The end of the tap has a square shank but you can probably find a socket or open end wrench to use it.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast