FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a Delorean

My VIN:    10625

Buying a Delorean

Hello everyone!

This is officially my first post here! So excuse all my future noob questions, faults and remarks, I'm by no means a Delorean expert.
    I've been a lurker here for a while, but figured it's time to present myself

So I'm buying my first Delorean, a little scary, but mostly exciting.
    I have a few criteria which are: Grey interior, manual, as stock AS possible(inc. radio, later 81' hood style, miles preferably under 35k same with the price below 30k.

I've seen a lot of people getting a lot of help here and this is why I love using this forum.

So I've been watching this listing on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121335182185...84.m1423.l2649

What do you guys think? It fits most of my criteria, although I have never heard of any 100 Deloreans being built in Ohio, can someone enlighten me?
    Also what would be a fair price?

Sorry for all the questions, or even if I posted in the wrong section, but I'am buying a Delorean and I know this is the place to get the best help and tips!

Cheers!

My VIN:    3886

Club(s):   (DMA)

same

I was in the same position as you a few weeks ago, and because of some extremely helpful people on this forum, I now am the proud owner of a delorean.

One popped up on ebay that the forum already had inspected when the church auctioned it off. It was in similar condition to the one you are looking at. I wouldn't get too hung up on the model year. Some of the 1983's (as you read) were assembled in ohio after Consolidated purchased up the bankrupt delorean assets.

If you get one close to original like that, plan on spending a few bucks on tires, fuel pump (probably), overflow tank, etc. (those are just the obvious ones.) I am having some work done on mine now to make it a little more of a daily driver. (new tires, brake pads, hoses replaced, etc.)

The forum will be your greatest asset in buying a delorean and you will get help as to what you should update on the car. I even had a number of forum members offer to inspect cars for me.

Make sure you check craigslist, autotrader, etc also.

tony c

chicago

no pictures of the undercarriage (which is what I learned is one of the most important things to see....rust can be a deal killer)

but this one could be decent. the experts can now chime in:

http://www.mclarendowntownchicago.co...hp?id=13661814

http://north-shore-autosport.ebizaut...-12065746.html

the dealer(s) must be related, because this looks like the same car.

where are you located?

also, there are 3 different hood styles:

gas flap (the hood has a small gas flap by the windshield)
    flat (with a delorean emblem on the front above the headlight)
    grooved (my personal favorite...maybe because I have this.)

tony

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

First welcome!
    As far as the car, looks nice but not enough frame pics. Based on the pics they did show it looks very nice.

I was not aware of the last cars being built in Ohio. It seems I have heard that story before but maybe it has been debunked. The manufacture date is Aug of 82...The factory was still open then wasn't it? I believe the factory shut it's doors in late November....so that car should have been built in Dunmurry.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Exactly!

acaciolo: I was actually refering to you in my post and what an inspiring thread that was

Yeah model year ain't all that important to me, either of the two later hood styles are fine with me, just not a big fan of the gas flap..

Im currently stationed out of Norway, but I will have the car either shipped to LA ( as it is my second home ) or picked up by myself at the location this summer when I come back over the pond!
    I will have DMC california look over the car and make any improvements the car might need, thats why I want to spend under 30k on a car in good condition and invest some money on improvements needed by DMC experts.

Both cars you sent me the link to are just in my ball park, thanks a lot!
    Im constantly on craigslist, auto trader, classicars, ebay etc..

But keep 'em coming, I appreciate all the help I can get

Michael: Yeah I was thinking that myself I have sent the seller a message for more pics. And weather the car was built in Ireland or the US does not really matter to me as long as all the information on the car is in sync and correct, but you are right I guess if the car was built in Ohio in 83 how can it then be a Aug 82... hmm

help

glad to help. It is my turn to give back after everyone was so helpful to me.

also, there are 3 extremely helpful business owners on this forum. Rob Grady from PJ Grady's, Josh B from Delorean Performance, and Dave from Delorean midwest.

I met both josh and rob. they have amazing shops and really know their stuff. they were super helpful to me.

tony c

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by drdelorean View Post
    Michael: Yeah I was thinking that myself I have sent the sellercs a message for more pics. And weather the car was built in Ireland or the US does not really matter to me as long as all the information on the car is in sync and correct, but you are right I guess if the car was built in Ohio in 83 how can it then be a Aug 82... hmm
    I think he was just confused. The parts inventory was shipped to Ohio after the factory closed in late November or December (can't remember). Maybe since CI oversaw the last cars built he just assumed the assembly took place in Ohio. I think all the cars were (originally) built in the Dunmurry plant.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I recall a similar discussion last year which ended in James E confirming that no cars were built in Ohio.

The last few dozen were certainly shipped across and no doubt had some QAC style fettling done but that's about it.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

thanks makes a lot more sense about the "ohio built cars." amazing how much misinformation there is on the web!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast