FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Delorean

My VIN:    3937

Welcome!

The car does look nice. As others said, some more frame photos would be beneficial. If the balance of the car including the frame looks as good as what is shown, you've at least found one that was well stored/maintained.

I know you mentioned being overseas, so this could prove difficult, but I would always advise seeing the car in person yourself before buying it. If that can't be done for whatever reason, find someone to look at it for you. This person needs to have two qualifications: you trust him or her completely with knowing how YOU make decisions, and the person needs to be DeLorean knowledgable and not just generic car knowledgable.

A couple comments on this one:

- Headliner looks a bit odd in colour, too light or almost tan in some ways. Most noticeable on the driver's side. Get more photos or ask what the story is.
    - Find out if the safety recalls were done on this car, specifically the throttle deice recall and the front end recall.
    - As the ad mentioned, expect to buy new rubber for the wheels and not to use 33 year old NCTs.
    - The car has the original plastic coolant reservoir and you may elect to replace it as others often do (with a metal one).
    - Wouldn't hurt to get some photos of the fuse and relay area behind the passenger seat and perhaps the battery compartment as well. Throw in other areas like the inside of the glovebox, cubby hole, under the trunk carpet including the spare tire area and under it showing the fuel tank as well as the brake reservoir (these photos might be more important for you if you don't see it in person in advance).

I get somewhat cautious of ads using the word perfect or others similar to it and this one used a few of them. Not saying it isn't a great car, but very few things in my estimation are ever justifiably referred to as perfect on a DeLorean. Just double check the aspects of the car mentioned as being flawless or perfect or completely functional as designed. Your man on the ground can do this in person by testing all of these perfectly running features when he goes to see it.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Velkommen to the forum!

If it's what you want, I'd have no personal reservations about bidding on that car, as the condition/functionality must match the assertions made in the listing upon delivery, otherwise there's no legally binding contract. And the only reservations that I'd have about it would be concerning functionality, as everything else about the car looks good to me.

However, as you're buying blind and will not personally be there to accept delivery, you definitely need/want someone who knows what they're looking at to fully inspect/check out the car for you prior to the transfer of funds beyond a deposit.

As others have already said, all cars were assembled in Dunmurry. I believe that the actual story is that the parts inventory had already been shipped prior to the completion of some of the final cars, and thus they needed/required a few parts to be installed once they too were relocated to Ohio, however a vast majority of the assembly, >80%, took place at the Dunmurry factory.

Best of luck

My VIN:    First 700

The 20XXX cars are a bit special. 104 of them were put out. These were the cars that were on the line when they were taken over. Later rebuilt by DMC people that came back in. You can see on the bare door (headliner area) photo that the date (in European style) of 25-3-82. When Consolidated reapplied for the VIN numbers I think they all got the Aug 82 build date (for the "83" models). I think I have seen a Sept 82 out there too.

Back to the car...I would NEVER bid on any car off ebay without having a person see the car first and check out the owner. Spend $120 to hire a PI and run a back ground check on him so you know he isn't going to skip on you. The guy that wrote this is acting like a knowledgeable person when it is readily apparent they are not a car person. The thing what makes me the most worried is this line, "i have only driven it a couple of miles as i didn't want to put miles on this very low mileage car"... I hate crap like that because now you have to figure out the real reason he is not driving it. I guarantee it is because it overheated or didn't start last time he drove it. If him and the car checks out I'd say it is a good buy around 25K. Well...with only a day left on the auction things might be tight for you to get it all checked out. I can tell you that there are some great cars that match up with what you want for 25K, so don't get carried away or think that this is the only one you will ever find.

What is up with the exhaust tips...that is the early style isn't it? Does the fascia paint look dark to you guys?
    Last edited by Flicky; 05-10-2014 at 11:15 PM.

My VIN:    10625

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Welcome!

The car does look nice. As others said, some more frame photos would be beneficial. If the balance of the car including the frame looks as good as what is shown, you've at least found one that was well stored/maintained.

I know you mentioned being overseas, so this could prove difficult, but I would always advise seeing the car in person yourself before buying it. If that can't be done for whatever reason, find someone to look at it for you. This person needs to have two qualifications: you trust him or her completely with knowing how YOU make decisions, and the person needs to be DeLorean knowledgable and not just generic car knowledgable.

A couple comments on this one:

- Headliner looks a bit odd in colour, too light or almost tan in some ways. Most noticeable on the driver's side. Get more photos or ask what the story is.
    - Find out if the safety recalls were done on this car, specifically the throttle deice recall and the front end recall.
    - As the ad mentioned, expect to buy new rubber for the wheels and not to use 33 year old NCTs.
    - The car has the original plastic coolant reservoir and you may elect to replace it as others often do (with a metal one).
    - Wouldn't hurt to get some photos of the fuse and relay area behind the passenger seat and perhaps the battery compartment as well. Throw in other areas like the inside of the glovebox, cubby hole, under the trunk carpet including the spare tire area and under it showing the fuel tank as well as the brake reservoir (these photos might be more important for you if you don't see it in person in advance).

I get somewhat cautious of ads using the word perfect or others similar to it and this one used a few of them. Not saying it isn't a great car, but very few things in my estimation are ever justifiably referred to as perfect on a DeLorean. Just double check the aspects of the car mentioned as being flawless or perfect or completely functional as designed. Your man on the ground can do this in person by testing all of these perfectly running features when he goes to see it.
    Thank you for the in-depth reply, extremely helpful!

Like you say I do agree with having someone check it out for me, seeing as the auction is ending in a day I'll most likely end up not bidding on it. But there are other good Deloreans for sale, and Im in no hurry, I just need to have the car by this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Velkommen to the forum!

If it's what you want, I'd have no personal reservations about bidding on that car, as the condition/functionality must match the assertions made in the listing upon delivery, otherwise there's no legally binding contract. And the only reservations that I'd have about it would be concerning functionality, as everything else about the car looks good to me.

However, as you're buying blind and will not personally be there to accept delivery, you definitely need/want someone who knows what they're looking at to fully inspect/check out the car for you prior to the transfer of funds beyond a deposit.

As others have already said, all cars were assembled in Dunmurry. I believe that the actual story is that the parts inventory had already been shipped prior to the completion of some of the final cars, and thus they needed/required a few parts to be installed once they too were relocated to Ohio, however a vast majority of the assembly, >80%, took place at the Dunmurry factory.

Best of luck

Thank you!

Interesting facts, this is why I love this forum, all the knowledge!
    I'll be "using" you guys frequently until I find the car that I want, thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Flicky View Post
    The 20XXX cars are a bit special. 104 of them were put out. These were the cars that were on the line when they were taken over. Later rebuilt by DMC people that came back in. You can see on the bare door (headliner area) photo that the date (in European style) of 25-3-82. When Consolidated reapplied for the VIN numbers I think they all got the Aug 82 build date (for the "83" models). I think I have seen a Sept 82 out there too.

Back to the car...I would NEVER bid on any car off ebay without having a person see the car first and check out the owner. Spend $120 to hire a PI and run a back ground check on him so you know he isn't going to skip on you. The guy that wrote this is acting like a knowledgeable person when it is readily apparent they are not a car person. The thing what makes me the most worried is this line, "i have only driven it a couple of miles as i didn't want to put miles on this very low mileage car"... I hate crap like that because now you have to figure out the real reason he is not driving it. I guarantee it is because it overheated or didn't start last time he drove it. If him and the car checks out I'd say it is a good buy around 25K. Well...with only a day left on the auction things might be tight for you to get it all checked out. I can tell you that there are some great cars that match up with what you want for 25K, so don't get carried away or think that this is the only one you will ever find.

What is up with the exhaust tips...that is the early style isn't it? Does the fascia paint look dark to you guys?
    Interesting facts, I have learned a lot only in the few hours of this thread!

And like I said I agree with you guys, I will not buy this car "blind" with so little time left to have the car or seller checked out. Theres more Deloreans for sale so my search continues, but I appreciate all the help and input from you guys!

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by drdelorean View Post
    Interesting facts, I have learned a lot only in the few hours of this thread!

And like I said I agree with you guys, I will not buy this car "blind" with so little time left to have the car or seller checked out. Theres more Deloreans for sale so my search continues, but I appreciate all the help and input from you guys!
    Flicky makes a great point about being patient. There will be other cars just as good or better so don't panic about not having enough time to act on this one.

Luckily the DeLorean buying experience isn't like one of these real estate markets where they insist you see the place, make your mind up, and put an offer on it with no conditions before leaving after seeing it for the first time. Good learning experience either way for you (or others).

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

So true! Like I said I'm not pressed on time, just want to have it by summertime, so I'll keep searching! So I appreciate all the help you guys are giving me here

Sell DeLorean

Quote Originally Posted by drdelorean View Post
    Hello everyone!

This is officially my first post here! So excuse all my future noob questions, faults and remarks, I'm by no means a Delorean expert.
    I've been a lurker here for a while, but figured it's time to present myself

So I'm buying my first Delorean, a little scary, but mostly exciting.
    I have a few criteria which are: Grey interior, manual, as stock AS possible(inc. radio, later 81' hood style, miles preferably under 35k same with the price below 30k.

I've seen a lot of people getting a lot of help here and this is why I love using this forum.

So I've been watching this listing on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121335182185...84.m1423.l2649

What do you guys think? It fits most of my criteria, although I have never heard of any 100 Deloreans being built in Ohio, can someone enlighten me?
    Also what would be a fair price?

Sorry for all the questions, or even if I posted in the wrong section, but I'am buying a Delorean and I know this is the place to get the best help and tips!

Cheers!
    I think I will sell mine and you can buy it for $30K. But two things need to be done: 1. The new factory windshield needs to be installed which will be done Tuesday the 20th by a professional glass installation shop. 2. I must get the A/C working properly as I just installed a new factory compressor and am having noise issues - blows cold and has no leaks - but is noisy and might just be the belt per DMC in Texas. I'll know Tuesday as well regarding that as I am out of town till then for our son's wedding.

All else is super fine and I have all the history records, bills of sale, complete library of 6 DMC service binders, service records - you name it and I have it - and it is ALL STOCK factory original (radio too and it works as does the power antenna when the radio is turned on and off).

The car has 34,500 miles, is in near mint condition inside and out, upside and down, no fluid leaks, all interior and exterior lights work, all gages work, horn works, key buzzer works, power windows and mirrors work, nothing missing - has all the accessories like the spare and jack assembly, fitted car cover, alarm system. It is a manual 5-speed (newer clutch) and gray interior. I am in the Kansas City area and the car has always been serviced by the factory trained technician (Eudell's in Merriam, KS) and I have ALL the service records. Please send me your e-mail address and I will send pictures of anything you want to see. My e-mail is [email protected]. My phone is 816-590-3685.

Best regards,

Fred

[QUOTE=Viper Guy;143147]I think I will sell mine and you can buy it for $30K. But two things need to be done: 1. The new factory windshield needs to be installed which will be done Tuesday the 20th by a professional glass installation shop. 2. I must get the A/C working properly as I just installed a new factory compressor and am having noise issues - blows cold and has no leaks - but is noisy and might just be the belt per DMC in Texas. I'll know Tuesday as well regarding that as I am out of town till then for our son's wedding.

All else is super fine and I have all the history records, bills of sale, complete library of 6 DMC service binders, service records - you name it and I have it - and it is ALL STOCK factory original (radio too and it works as does the power antenna when the radio is turned on and off).

The car has 34,500 miles, is in near mint condition inside and out, upside and down, no fluid leaks, all interior and exterior lights work, all gages work, horn works, key buzzer works, power windows and mirrors work, nothing missing - has all the accessories like the spare and jack assembly, fitted car cover, alarm system. It is a manual 5-speed (newer clutch) and gray interior. I am in the Kansas City area and the car has always been serviced by the factory trained technician (Eudell's in Merriam, KS) and I have ALL the service records. Please send me your e-mail address and I will send pictures of anything you want to see. My e-mail is [email protected]. My phone is 816-590-3685.

Best regards,

Fred[/QUOTE

P.S. The car has the late hood without the gas flap.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast