FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Release the Hoses!

My VIN:    6313

Release the Hoses!

I'm pulling out the fuel tank and need to release the two flexible hoses from the pump to the fuel hard lines. I'm stuck at the point shown in the picture where the hard line end and flexible hose end seem to be fused together. Any amount of force just twists the hard line. Any clues/tricks on how to release the flexible hose?

Fuel PUmp Hose to Hard Fuel Lines.jpg
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    I'm pulling out the fuel tank and need to release the two flexible hoses from the pump to the fuel hard lines. I'm stuck at the point shown in the picture where the hard line end and flexible hose end seem to be fused together. Any amount of force just twists the hard line. Any clues/tricks on how to release the flexible hose?
    With a knife. Cut off the hoses and replace them. Those are original. Don't try to separate the steel fittings, as you see they are pretty stuck and the likelihood that you will kink a line is very high.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Someone else correct me if I'm wrong on this.

The original flex lines were thermocoupled to the hardlines. There's no getting them off unless you cut them off, which is what probably all of us have had to do lately when installing the upgraded pump/sender combo. If you torque the hard lines too much trying to get them off, you might cause problems with the hard lines.

It's a common size flex tubing. Just cut them off with a sharp razor blade but take care not to score the barbs on the hard lines. Afterwards, you'll use new fuel lines with the correct fuel injection hose clamps to hold them on. No more thermocoupling since it's 2014 and not 1981!

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You have to hold back the hard lines without crushing them to keep them from turning and twist the hoses to break the seal. Sometimes a sideways tap with a hammer can do it.
    David Teitelbaum

Okay, I cut the hoses (since they are original - but in surprisingly good condition). Tank is now out of the car. I got a good look at the frame previously hidden by the tank and it looks in really good condition

Fuel Tank Out.jpg
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Unless you have to work on the frame there is really no good reason to remove the tank.
    David Teitelbaum

Kind of a catch 22... How to inspect the frame without removing the tank. This is just one of many concurrent projects on the car.
    Jeff

My VIN:    6679

Removing the tank is hardly a lot of work and can, in my case did, reveal damage from a formerly leaking brake master... Well worth it in my opinion, and made cleaning out the tank a crapload easier.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tillsy View Post
    Removing the tank is hardly a lot of work and can, in my case did, reveal damage from a formerly leaking brake master... Well worth it in my opinion, and made cleaning out the tank a crapload easier.
    The front of the brake booster is pretty rusty and the PO replaced the brake master at some point - presumably due to a leak. I did find some flaking epoxy from the frame at the back of the crumple zone but little rust. I removed all the flakes that I could and treated the area with the Eastwood rust treatment for inside frames - which is essentially a special hose that has a multi-directional spray nozzle on the end. It fires the rust treatment in all directions simultaneously.
    Jeff

I got the tank completely empty tonight (removed all but 1/2 inch of gas before removing the tank from the car) and pulled the fuel pump and sender unit. While there wasn't too much goo at the bottom, I was still surprised at how it completely coated about 25% of the bottom of the tank. If I had to describe it, I would say that it is like a 'sticky grease' (oxymoron?). Pulling the tank out is certainly going to make the cleaning effort a lot easier. I'm just glad none of the goo got sucked up into the fuel system.

The rubber boot (tank inside) felt gummy but wasn't falling apart. The hoses and plastic components all look in good condition.

Fuel Pump Out.jpgTank Bottom Goo 2.jpgTank Bottom Goo.jpg
    Jeff