FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Fuel pump woes

My VIN:    17019

Unhappy Fuel pump woes

Hi everybody

First of all thanks to everyone who has responded to my few posts, I don't get time to get to this board as much as I would like.

Possible fuel pump issue. Engine is getting fire but no fuel.

The person I am purchasing it from almost called me to have me pick it up but ran into a problem. He said the fuel pump had not been working so he "jumpered" it and it started working. Engine turned over and ran fine. He then let it set for a few minutes and couldn't get it to turn over, fuel pump was still making noise and could even feel a vibration through it if touched. I went to his house and we disconnected the fuel line leading into the fuel filter. I could hear hissing of pressure but very little fuel came out of the line, maybe a couple of thimbles worth. We then turned it over again to see if any fuel was making it through. No fuel ran through the line into our bucket. He then checked the fuel pump and it still appeared to be running when the key was fully turned. We hooked everything back up and tried to start it again just for the heck of it, nothing. He then checked the pump, it was not making any sound.

Any ideas other than a fuel pump? He is already ordering the pump, the little boot it sets in and everything attached to it. I'm just curious if it could be something else.

Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Take the pump out and hook voltage to it to rule out bad ground/connectors, rule out the pump and then go from there (clogged fuel filter/screens).

Quote Originally Posted by penciltester View Post
    Hi everybody

First of all thanks to everyone who has responded to my few posts, I don't get time to get to this board as much as I would like.

Possible fuel pump issue. Engine is getting fire but no fuel.

The person I am purchasing it from almost called me to have me pick it up but ran into a problem. He said the fuel pump had not been working so he "jumpered" it and it started working. Engine turned over and ran fine. He then let it set for a few minutes and couldn't get it to turn over, fuel pump was still making noise and could even feel a vibration through it if touched. I went to his house and we disconnected the fuel line leading into the fuel filter. I could hear hissing of pressure but very little fuel came out of the line, maybe a couple of thimbles worth. We then turned it over again to see if any fuel was making it through. No fuel ran through the line into our bucket. He then checked the fuel pump and it still appeared to be running when the key was fully turned. We hooked everything back up and tried to start it again just for the heck of it, nothing. He then checked the pump, it was not making any sound.

Any ideas other than a fuel pump? He is already ordering the pump, the little boot it sets in and everything attached to it. I'm just curious if it could be something else.

Thanks guys I really appreciate it.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Take the pump out and hook voltage to it to rule out bad ground/connectors, rule out the pump and then go from there (clogged fuel filter/screens).
    Could be a bad pick-up hose or you are very low on fuel or the fuel screen is plugged up with dirt.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. He is removing the fuel pump, boot, and all lines running into and out of the pump this weekend. A new pump is being ordered monday from specialtauto. I have warned him about the bad customer service and rather slow shipping, he is having it shipped overnight.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by penciltester View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. He is removing the fuel pump, boot, and all lines running into and out of the pump this weekend. A new pump is being ordered monday from specialtauto. I have warned him about the bad customer service and rather slow shipping, he is having it shipped overnight.
    Overnight is great once it's in the hands of the shipping company. Getting it to that point may take 2 weeks
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Yeah, that's what I fear. Push comes to shove he lives 9 hours south of me, I could grab the guys for a road trip and show up on his doorstep.