FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DPI updated core policy

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Not so much in home hardware. I don't see anyone selling refurbished toilets for example.
    Yea, they always come back in such crappy condition.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    891, 1045

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    ...I am not a car guy, but it seems to me that the whole core thing is strange. This is the only industry that I know of where you have to turn in your old part when buying another one...
    I'm guessing that's because most other industries sell their products as consumable/perishable and are continuously redesign products so that the older ones are obsolete and have virtually no shelf life.

Wasn't the DeLorean itself advertised as a car that should last 25 years or more?
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    There's you opening yourself up to being taken advantage of again.

I am not a car guy, but it seems to me that the whole core thing is strange. This is the only industry that I know of where you have to turn in your old part when buying another one.

But I agree with a previous poster. Charge the "New" price to buy the part, then issue a refund if they return the core (without requiring it). Then they have the option to get some money back or not to bother with it.

30 day deposits and all this just seems strange to me. Then again, the auto service industry does a lot of things that wouldn't fly in other businesses.
    Core charge is nothing new, it is a normal and usual thing when it comes to car parts for new and old vehicles. When you go buy an alternator, certain rotors/drums, starters, even batteries and numerious other parts, the'll charge you then and there a "core charge" and then it gets refunded once you return you old, rebuildable core. The only way around it is if you have your battery, starter, or etc. that you're replacing with you and turn it in right then. If I was in the parts selling situation, I'd do like the parts house and charge the core charge right then and there, and refund once you have the rebuildable core in hand. It's probably a lot of work doing it that way and it pisses some honest buyers off, but it keeps you from being burned in the end. Even stuff on Ebay has core charges they charge right away.

In a similar instance - its just like my parents who run a printing business. They constantly have someone agree to a price, pay when you pick up your job. They do all the work, job is ready and never hear from people again. If they charge it right then and there to begin with they'd never lose out on the money that way - but they don't want to scare people off by making them pay first.
    Last edited by dn010; 05-20-2014 at 04:43 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

I don't see anyone selling refurbished toilets for example.
    Actually, you might be surprised. Vintage refurbished toilets are currently considered in high fashion...

https://deabath.com/Original/Or_Toilets/or_toilets.html

My VIN:    6679

I don't see anyone selling refurbished toilets for example.
    What about Gonzo's executive line of used toilets

Chris

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Gonzo's Game of Thrones?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Question

With all due respect, does this post really (still) need to be stickied here instead of in the vendor section?

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Just PM whomever is a moderator this week.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2