FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Transmission leak

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Transmission leak

So I took my car out for the first drive since 2005 (as far as i know). Ran great. However it got the transmission moving and heated up and a leak emerged. Is this a common leak? Im thinking ill go over the case bolts and make sure they are properly torqued but other than that what should I do? Also what is the bolt hole under the passenger side mount in the last pic? Could this cause the leak?uploadfromtaptalk1400215984564.jpguploadfromtaptalk1400215997149.jpguploadfromtaptalk1400216012903.jpguploadfromtaptalk1400216024382.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

There is a seal where the shift linkage goes into the transmission, is it running down from there? Possibly the fill plug leaking?

Edit: The lip seal number is 103049, if you look it up, you can get an idea of where I'm talking about.
    Last edited by dn010; 05-16-2014 at 08:58 AM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    6125

I'm hoping Dave from DMCMW can chime in here. I had a similar leak on my transmission and he cleared out the vent at the top of the transmission and that helped resolve the problem. The vent tends to get blocked up so the case can't release pressure so it'll blow oil out through the linkage seals.

I believe only the automatics have vents. 5-speed manuals do not, or am I wrong?
    Last edited by dn010; 05-16-2014 at 09:40 AM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    6125

The manual trans definitely has a vent at the top. I'm trying to find a thread that shows a picture of where it's located. Here's another thread about it from a while back:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?40...ather-question

I stand corrected, and thank you for that info! My 5-speed constantly seeps from the flange seals - I've replaced both seals twice and both flanges thinking the old ones were scored too much, only to find it still seeping! I just let it go because I was tired of messing with it. I've taken apart my transmission twice and don't remember a breather, but now I will look at mine too since the transmission is out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    The manual trans definitely has a vent at the top. I'm trying to find a thread that shows a picture of where it's located. Here's another thread about it from a while back:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?40...ather-question
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I stand corrected, and thank you for that info! My 5-speed constantly seeps from the flange seals - I've replaced both seals twice and both flanges thinking the old ones were scored too much, only to find it still seeping! I just let it go because I was tired of messing with it. I've taken apart my transmission twice and don't remember a breather, but now I will look at mine too since the transmission is out. Thanks!
    Hard to tell from your pictures where the oil is coming from. First thing to do is make sure you have the right oil in there and you have it at the proper level. If you do not know what is inside you should change it. If it still leaks the case probably needs to be resealed and to do that you have to remove the transmission. It can't hurt to check the vent, if it gets plugged up it can cause leaks.
    David Teitelbaum

Because I am interested in knowing if this is my issue too, I did a search and here is a link (hopefully the one Mark was referring to) that contains a picture of where the vent is located. I don't recall ever seeing this on mine, so the plastic is likely gone on it... While on the topic, how likely is it that dirt will get into the transmission with this plastic gone?

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?39...-shift-linkage
    -----Dan B.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Don't worry about dirt. The plug is probably broken off in the hole. Poke in there with a small wire and break up what is left.

Sent from phone
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I believe only the automatics have vents. 5-speed manuals do not, or am I wrong?
    Just reading through this thread and saw the link to the manual trans photo Dave posted of this vent hole.

As mentioned above, do the automatics also have this type of vent? Is it in a similar location and is unplugged using the same method of poking something into it? Any pics?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast