FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Transmission leak

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Both the manual and the automatic have breather holes. Pics courtesy of Dave Swingle.

DeLorean_Trans_Breather_Auto.jpgDeLorean_Trans_Breather_Manual.jpg
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    3937

Great. Thanks for those Farrar and Dave.

Two questions on the automatics:

1.) If this breather was plugged and forcing fluid back and out another way, would it be dripping out on to the ground as reddish ATF or brownish gear oil (i.e. from the final drive section)?

2.) Can this breather be accessed/seen without getting to it from underneath while the car is on a lift? What is the best way to go about getting to it?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Great. Thanks for those Farrar and Dave.

Two questions on the automatics:

1.) If this breather was plugged and forcing fluid back and out another way, would it be dripping out on to the ground as reddish ATF or brownish gear oil (i.e. from the final drive section)?

2.) Can this breather be accessed/seen without getting to it from underneath while the car is on a lift? What is the best way to go about getting to it?
    1 - Brown. Unless there is an internal leak dumping ATF into the diff

2 - No. On a lift.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    1 - Brown. Unless there is an internal leak dumping ATF into the diff

2 - No. On a lift.
    Roger that Dave. Thanks. Sounds like a perfect thing to do with a few minutes of lift time at a tech day. Have a nice weekend.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Thanks guys, I will check the vent. The car was sitting for a long time and when it was out i hosed it down with the pressure washer. lots of chances for the hole to get plugged. I have new oil in it, conventional 80w90

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU for posting all the great information about this problem. I had an almost identical leak from my transmission but couldn't figure out what was causing it. After reading this post I got under the car and was able to push the end of a paper clip through the crud filled breather hole on the transmission. The second I pushed it far enough in I heard hissing coming from the hole and I was hopeful that the pressure building up inside the transmission was the cause of the leak. Well, I took my car for a good drive today and arrived home about 2 hours ago. I just went out to the garage and low and behold the garage floor is FLUID FREE!!!! This forum has been absolutely invaluable to this new Delorean owner.
    Proud Owner of #06929 - Purchased 11/14/2018
    Grey 5-Speed
    Manufactured November 1981
    Riverview, FL

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by leepoffaith View Post
    I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU for posting all the great information about this problem. I had an almost identical leak from my transmission but couldn't figure out what was causing it. After reading this post I got under the car and was able to push the end of a paper clip through the crud filled breather hole on the transmission. The second I pushed it far enough in I heard hissing coming from the hole and I was hopeful that the pressure building up inside the transmission was the cause of the leak. Well, I took my car for a good drive today and arrived home about 2 hours ago. I just went out to the garage and low and behold the garage floor is FLUID FREE!!!! This forum has been absolutely invaluable to this new Delorean owner.
    Cool. For future readers, I can add 2 close up pictures of the Breather (103047) as I found and installed a new earlier this year while I had my gearbox out:

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2