FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Fix for Bent Turn Signal/Horn Stalk?

My VIN:    6125

Fix for Bent Turn Signal/Horn Stalk?

This came up in a different thread...not wanting to derail that discussion I figured I'd start a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    There's something very familiar about all of this............

Attachment 27231Attachment 27232

Top: bent, original stalk assembly. Thank you Mr. PO.
    Bottom: new, replacement.

The part that got difficult to reach for me was the horn. It wasn't close enough to immediately push it with your hands still on the wheel, and not wanting to fumble with it if I needed it in a panic was what prompted me to replace it. I think the whole assembly is in upwards of $200 though so I am pretty careful where my knee swings when I get in and out.

If you need any help replacing yours, just ask. It's really not too difficult. You'll need to be able to pull the steering wheel off, which isn't terribly hard either.

Does anyone have experience fixing a bent turn signal stalk instead of replacing it? The tubing wall seems pretty thin so I'm hesitant to try bending it only to see it kink and break off.

Thin wall tubing can be formed without kinking if packed with sand, filled with water, grease, or any other incompressible substance that supports the tube from the inside. Would there be a way to fill the inside of the tube, bend to shape, and then empty it back out? I can't see in the photos above if there is easy access to the inner end of the tube.

Any other ideas to fix a bent stalk would be appreciated.

My VIN:    4245

Club(s):   (DMA)

I had read about someone with the Momo wheel using a heat gun to bend the stalks back for more clearance.

My own has loads of play. Now I am painfully aware of the replacement cost.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

lets play

My turn signal stick has lots of play also, are there screws loose somewhere? Hard to get to?

My VIN:    3937

I had thought it was $200, but it isn't. The current price is $131 and was $105 when I bought mine. A little more with the exchange rate and shipping, but less than the $200 I mentioned earlier.

I'll see about posting some better photos of the bent one (I have it in a box somewhere). There are some wires that would run inside the tubing down to the horn button, etc., so that might have to be factored in if it was going to be temporarily filled with something while it was being bent back.

Mine was bent or twisted right at the connection though as well and not just the tubing. It looked to me like it got whacked a lot harder than an owner would have done himself just by catching it with your pant leg or something.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    891, 1045

How original do you guys want to be? Mine is not bent enough to be an issue for me...but if it was this is what I'd be looking at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLASSIC-MINI...item35d5d18447

Either that or PM me about the one I have for sale.
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

Plenty else to worry about first for me.

That mini part would be great if a way could be found to adapt the added function of the headlight flash.

My high beam flashers are already on the horn/turn signal stalk. Are yours somewhere else?

I'll add it to the list. I had no idea, my own is not currently functioning to my knowledge.

Check you fuses first, then your bulbs. Hopefully it's something simple.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Steering Wheel Adapter

Quote Originally Posted by PB Co View Post
    I had read about someone with the Momo wheel using a heat gun to bend the stalks back for more clearance.
    Problem Solved. Price TBD, will have these at the show. This is not the final finish. Machined from a sold piece of aluminum.

This puts the steering wheel at the exact depth of the stock wheel. The prior adapter moved the wheel about an inch further from the driver.

wheel1.jpgwheel2.jpgwheel3.jpgwheel4.jpg

If there is interest we are considering making an "extender" for the other one.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC