FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sanden 508 vs. 510 and installation

My VIN:    2964

Sanden 508 vs. 510 and installation

Sanden 508 vs. 510. I currently purchased a bunch of stuff from John Hervey. I asked him about the a/c compressors, he said he's never used the 510 becuase of the load on the engine.

1. What are your thoughts on the a/c compressors???

2. As far as switching the back plates. All I would have to do is just unscrew the plates and switch them? Nothing tricky to it, or have to be carefull with anything, any oil in there to drip out??

3. I was looking at my original compressor, at least I think it is, it writes it is a 510. What is the point of 2 groves if only one groove is used for the belt??

Thank you!!!
    Last edited by 1batt4u; 07-28-2011 at 06:21 PM.
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I believe the 510 has a higher cooling capacity. The extra groove is sort of a universal thing. The SD510/508 compressors will fit on many other cars besides Deloreans.

Right now my AC compressor is working fine but it will be an interesting decision to make when it comes time to repalce the compressor. Do I want a higher power condensor from a questionable seller on eBay or do I want a new part from Hervey that I know I won't have problems with.

My VIN:    2964

I see alot of people using the 508 model.

As far as switching the back plates???
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

I think oil can leak out, I did it with the rear end up anyway. The biggest problem I had was the gasket, it was sol old that some of it was fused to the the back, and some to the compressor. I did a lot of careful scraping but in the end I didn't trust it and just got a new one. If your gasket comes off the back plate easily you should be fine.

I think Hervey still sells backs too if needed

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    I think oil can leak out, I did it with the rear end up anyway. The biggest problem I had was the gasket, it was sol old that some of it was fused to the the back, and some to the compressor. I did a lot of careful scraping but in the end I didn't trust it and just got a new one. If your gasket comes off the back plate easily you should be fine.

I think Hervey still sells backs too if needed
    I got my compressor from John and he sent it without a back with the understanding that people reuse theirs. He included a new gasket to mate the new compressor to the old back, as I recall. Some PAG46 did leak out but John also includes a bottle of that with his kit, so you will be OK there.

I think his site says he does have a few backs in stock but that they're very hard to come by.

Haven't had any problems with the setup I got from him other than my own mistake in not tightening one of the connections at the accumulator far enough. His updated 2-piece hoses are a great thing to use if you want to go R134a but don't want to lift the body from the frame.

Good luck! A/C makes all the difference in this car!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    ... Do I want a higher power condensor from a questionable seller on eBay....
    There is nothing wrong with buying a compressor off eBay (that is where all of mine have come), but be aware of what you are buying. More and more Made in China knockoffs are showing up, such as this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-9...Q5fAccessories
    The knockoffs typically don't have a manufacturer's sticker, and the words "SD 508" or "SD 510" are cast into the compressor body.

The price differential between eBay and Hervey is much less than it used to be.

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with buying a compressor off eBay (that is where all of mine have come), but be aware of what you are buying. More and more Made in China knockoffs are showing up, such as this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-9...Q5fAccessories
    The knockoffs typically don't have a manufacturer's sticker, and the words "SD 508" or "SD 510" are cast into the compressor body.

The price differential between eBay and Hervey is much less than it used to be.

Bill Robertson
    +100 to this. New Sanden compressors actually have anti-counterfeiting stickers and radio tags in/on them. Utterly remarkable that an auto parts manufacturer has to go to such lengths, but there you have it. Stick with a trusted vendor for that kind of thing and you can't go wrong - plus, someone like John will be there to help you if you have troubles with your purchase. Believe me, I know..... I think he cringes when my caller ID comes up

My VIN:    03572

If you use the higher displacement compressor it just may cycle off more. It also puts more load on an idling engine. I have the compressor designed for R134a and it has less displacement than the 510. If it's really hot outside and the blower is on full, my compressor will not cycle but remain on. I still get mid 40 deg. F air from the center vent.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I sent my old backplate to John in advance and when my compressor arrived the backplate was already installed.

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I sent my old backplate to John in advance and when my compressor arrived the backplate was already installed.

Farrar
    That's a good idea. I had a bit of a mess in the box when my back-less compressor arrived as John had made a valiant effort to seal it up so the oil didn't leak out, but it just couldn't survive the rough handling in transit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast