FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Videobob's Time Machine # 16 - For Adam Kontras in Hollywood

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    That's clever. The best of both worlds.
    I was going to say the same thing! Having seen several time machines with typical auto shifters, I hope that this is a modification that happens to fix that look.

For whatever reason, I never care that much about the screen accuracy of the props as much as the screen accuracy of the base car. Not sure why...

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    For whatever reason, I never care that much about the screen accuracy of the props as much as the screen accuracy of the base car. Not sure why...
    Same, so true Nicholas.

Also, VB, I've never noticed an exhaust system like that on a Time Machine. Is that common practice?
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

Attention Whore

Quote Originally Posted by pezzonovante88 View Post
    Same, so true Nicholas.

Also, VB, I've never noticed an exhaust system like that on a Time Machine. Is that common practice?
    With the exception of custom stainless exhaust systems that can not be rerouted and must be sent out the back,
    the screen used car was done similar to this.
    The screen used car had the rear flux boxes mounted right where the tail pipes would exit and the exhaust basically
    shot out the sides of the muffler, they turn down a bit but basically blast into the rear quarter panels.
    Our experience with this was not good when we did it this way on my car, it heats up the panels and melted the LEDS on
    my flux bands!
    So we decided to route them out the side just a bit to they clear the panels.
    Sometimes you have to make little adjustments like these to make the car usable for daily use.

Attention Whore

More detailed photos are on my facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4199049&type=3
    Last edited by videobob; 05-21-2014 at 02:03 AM.

Those thin exhaust hoses really let your builds down, the rest of them are pretty good. Purple clamps rather than black too, they are a key feature of the external wiring.

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing a lot of automatic trans. owners to do that little stick-shift boot trick.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by pezzonovante88 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing a lot of automatic trans. owners to do that little stick-shift boot trick.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I'll bit it's a bit sketchy for normal use, as there are probably no detents between gear positions, i.e. it would be easy to knock into Park or Reverse while driving.

I'm assuming he's just using a manual linkage to move the shift cable, and all the Automatic lockouts are in the original shifter itself.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Attention Whore

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I'll bit it's a bit sketchy for normal use, as there are probably no detents between gear positions, i.e. it would be easy to knock into Park or Reverse while driving.

I'm assuming he's just using a manual linkage to move the shift cable, and all the Automatic lockouts are in the original shifter itself.
    There are "clicks" between each gear, but the lock is removed.
    But the answer is that there is nothing to stop you from shifting between gears, into reverse or park, but the transmission won't really
    let you do that, it would just bind up.
    However I made that known to the owner who insisted we do the mod despite my recommendation not to, but it looks great.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

mmmm. I had assumed that it was just an aesthetic manual-shift boot installed over the original auto linkage, with a modified "stick" for installing a gear knob on.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by videobob View Post
    There are "clicks" between each gear, but the lock is removed.
    But the answer is that there is nothing to stop you from shifting between gears, into reverse or park, but the transmission won't really
    let you do that, it would just bind up.
    However I made that known to the owner who insisted we do the mod despite my recommendation not to, but it looks great.
    If its something more people start requesting, I'll bet it would be pretty easy to modify the shifter such that you can leave the outer lock sleeve in place, and make it so you have to pull up on the shift knob to shift between locking points. That or you could put a ring around the underside of the shift knob that you have to pull up on in order to shift it (put a spring between the knob and ring so that it pushes the sleeve back down). This is actually pretty common. My Opel has this kind of lock preventing you from shifting into reverse (it's a manual). Its just like lifting the DeLorean shifter to get to reverse except is just a ring under the knob. Here's a pic of the shifter (ignore the other parts).

Last edited by Nicholas R; 05-21-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast