FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Drilled rotors

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by hillbillydmc View Post
    Hey,
    Do you know these will be noisier, heard them on your D, or do you think they will be noisier.

Thanks for the info
    I too am curious why you think these would be noisier. Is it a vibration you're talking about? A sound of rushing air?

I've got Wilwood drilled, slotted, and ventilated disc brakes on the front of my car and I've noticed no difference in sound at all.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I've had the DAP (Harvey) discs on my car for almost 10 years, I don't remember what pads I have currently but I've tried multiple brands (never Reds though).

These rotors are noisy (kind of sounds like a loud ZZZZzzzz high pitch to low with brakes applied until you stop; almost like someone is using a circular saw nearby) and I get a high pitched squeal from them at lower speed stops even with shims. Evident from the length of time I've had them - I like them better over OEM even with the issues. I'm sure they run cooler (doubt by 250); but they will STILL fade with some heavier driving/braking.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I too am curious why you think these would be noisier. Is it a vibration you're talking about? A sound of rushing air?

I've got Wilwood drilled, slotted, and ventilated disc brakes on the front of my car and I've noticed no difference in sound at all.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    3270

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I've had the DAP (Harvey) discs on my car for almost 10 years, I don't remember what pads I have currently but I've tried multiple brands (never Reds though).

These rotors are noisy (kind of sounds like a loud ZZZZzzzz high pitch to low with brakes applied until you stop; almost like someone is using a circular saw nearby) and I get a high pitched squeal from them at lower speed stops even with shims. Evident from the length of time I've had them - I like them better over OEM even with the issues. I'm sure they run cooler (doubt by 250); but they will STILL fade with some heavier driving/braking.
    Thanks so much, this was the info I needed
    Casey Barlow
    Delorean VIN#3270
    5 spd,gray interior
    Performance custom built PRV v6, performance camshafts, Arias Pistons, Special T Auto headers,Stainless fuel lines, ST Auto cooling fans, Eibach springs,DMCNW poly sway bar bushings, PJ Grady taillight boards, Stainless brake hoses sold sold

EBC May say you can combine redstuff pads with drilled rotors but they don't know the delorean. For a high performance car it makes sense on some level but for us, you're making up for poor oem brakes. It's a different scenario.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

What's the purpose for drilled/slotted rotors?

I was curious about the purpose of drilled/slotted rotors so I googled it. I though it had to do with expelling water during braking in the rain but I was surprised after my 30 second research that it is supposedly for providing a way for gases and brakes dust to escape during braking. Is that correct?

Ventilated rotors - yes. But drilled and slotted? Are those features really worth it on a Delorean? Seems like you're asking for pad wear (and noise as someone pointed out) for no specific gain, other than the cool factor.

Just wondering.

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Also the website says they run 250 degrees cooler.
    Any numbers quoted by Hervey need to be taken with the biggest grain of salt you can find.
    - Chris

what

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    I was curious about the purpose of drilled/slotted rotors so I googled it. I though it had to do with expelling water during braking in the rain but I was surprised after my 30 second research that it is supposedly for providing a way for gases and brakes dust to escape during braking. Is that correct?

Ventilated rotors - yes. But drilled and slotted? Are those features really worth it on a Delorean? Seems like you're asking for pad wear (and noise as someone pointed out) for no specific gain, other than the cool factor.

Just wondering.

As far as I'm concerned, getting crossed drilled/slotted rotors over blanks is more of an "looks" thing rather than anything performance related. They MAY run SLIGHTLY cooler and you MAY get less fade as fast compared to blanks, but thats really it and would have to be measured/tested to see if those claims are 100% correct. I went from original blanks that were "warped" and rusted to the drilled/slotted with new pads so I immediately felt a difference - doesn't mean that the new rotors were any better, they were just new.

Unless I'm mistaken on this as well: I don't even think there are brake pads that will even give off excess gasses with the compounds they use now.

You will have the noise, possibility of cracking, and I can say with a good bit of confidence that they will not run 250 degrees cooler. So,I'd say that with blank v. drilled/slotted it is a matter of preference, not a matter of performance. That said, I didn't buy these so I could not have fade going from 88mph to 0 on a daily basis; 10+ years ago it was just another thing I could do to make my car look different compared to others, long before all the mods and everything else was being done like today.
    Last edited by dn010; 05-29-2014 at 01:33 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

You guys can actually see the rotors through our wheels?

You guys are good

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post

You guys are good
    I was thinking the same thing, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post

Just wondering.
    Each brake disc feature has it's own purpose. Slots really help to keep pad wear even so that you have full, even contact. Drilled holes are for the ventilation of gasses as well as for cooling. The ventilation is for heat dissipation only. (though these are not ventilated rotors).

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post

You guys are good
    Would be tough with stock wheels; the rears - no way, the fronts, you can get a good peak if they rotors are new and plated & you are parked in the sunshine. Get custom wheels and you can see everything depending on the style of course. Back when I got these I had the nice new plated rotors and rebuilt calipers that were painted red, it did look good even behind stock wheels. Now, everything is rusty, my windshield is smashed, frame rotten but at least I have the EFI taken care of
    Last edited by dn010; 05-29-2014 at 07:19 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast