FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: New 81 Auto owner - Door Lock questions / problems - central locking, etc....

New 81 Auto owner - Door Lock questions / problems - central locking, etc....

Good afternoon, all.

I am sure this has been answered already here, but I am a newbie and wanted to know your quick opinions:

Here is my current door lock situation:

All doors only open manually. There is no apparent electrical system locking/unlocking doors.

The driver's side will auto-lock if door is pushed down hard.

The passenger's side will only open with a key 50% of the time. When it doesn't work, with not much force, the key will go past the "open" position, with slight resistance, but will not open the door.

Sometimes to get out or unlock the doors from the inside, you need to press forward on the open latch before rocking the lock to unlock.

After discovering how affordable the lockzilla module is, plus the add on for remote unlock, I was considering going with this (or ANY cheaper solution if you can tell me).

Based on the described situation, could there be more going on here that I don't know of? I am sure this situation has happened to folks before.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Best,

Brett

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Before you do anything, you need to do the full lock/latch adjustment process given in the service bulletin manual.

http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/ST-10-8.81.html

Then replace the burned out solenoids. Used the motorized actuators from DPNW.

Quote Originally Posted by bcarreras View Post
    Good afternoon, all.

I am sure this has been answered already here, but I am a newbie and wanted to know your quick opinions:

Here is my current door lock situation:

All doors only open manually. There is no apparent electrical system locking/unlocking doors.

The driver's side will auto-lock if door is pushed down hard.

The passenger's side will only open with a key 50% of the time. When it doesn't work, with not much force, the key will go past the "open" position, with slight resistance, but will not open the door.

Sometimes to get out or unlock the doors from the inside, you need to press forward on the open latch before rocking the lock to unlock.

After discovering how affordable the lockzilla module is, plus the add on for remote unlock, I was considering going with this (or ANY cheaper solution if you can tell me).

Based on the described situation, could there be more going on here that I don't know of? I am sure this situation has happened to folks before.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Best,

Brett
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC