FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The infamous $69,900 DeLorean!

My VIN:    16893

Quote Originally Posted by pezzonovante88 View Post
    And why shouldn't they be?
    The spirit of JZD is haunting the community and wants his cars to always remain affordable...

My VIN:    03037

Quote Originally Posted by RammJaeger View Post
    That is likely a too high of price for that car, but something has always struck me as odd about the Delorean community. They are the only car community I have ever seen that is averse to the value of their cars increasing. Any time someone prices a car even slightly above the going rate (and sometimes at or below the going rate) for a Delorean, the owners on this forum balk about it and say they are asking too much for the car. I say, if someone wants to start selling Deloreans for $70k, let them (if there is a buyer). Then maybe it will start making our $25k Deloreans worth $50k! The value can't increase if we're all beating the value back down. The "$25k rule" seems to go back at least 10 years, maybe more in this community. Perhaps we need to at least make it the "$26k Rule" or at least the "$25.5k Rule", and then in a few years make it the "$27k Rule".
    +1
    I agree with you. When people tell me your car is an icon (The DMV registration agent and many others) - I'm reminded that the car I own is rare and is accepted by the public that the car must be priceless. I too think we as a community aren't backing the true value of our gems and we should all together focus proactively on properly pricing our DeLoreans. $25K-$27K or to $30K is plain peanuts! We dictate the prices, not price guides (Nada, etc) or comps off eBay! It's time fellas to properly raise the price on our prized possession/s and set the value appropriately!
    Last edited by skill; 05-25-2014 at 06:46 PM.
    ¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬
    2014 La Jolla Concours D'Elegance Volunteer
    1998 Online Gamer; Everquest, AOE, R6, WOW, SOF
    1981 DeLorean, Grey, Automatic, Flap, 12k preserved miles
    1960 Volkswagen Beetle
    1961 Cadillac Coupe DeVille - *Restoration in Progress*

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

Hmmmm.....

My VIN:    747, Rally D, formally 10309, Marty Mcfly 85 Toyota, 2004 Mach 1

Quote Originally Posted by skill View Post
    +1
    I agree with you. When people tell me your car is an icon (The DMV registration agent and many others) - I'm reminded that the car I own is rare and is accepted by the public that the car must be priceless. I too think we as a community aren't backing the true value of our gems and we should all together focus proactively on properly pricing our DeLoreans. $25K-$27K or to $30K is plain peanuts! We dictate the prices, not price guides (Nada, etc) or comps off eBay! It's time fellas to properly raise the price on our prized possession/s and set the value appropriately!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sourc...01149249840030

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    Well if they consider a 58 vw bus to be worth $140,000.....
    A 1963 and earlier 23 Window Bus, fully restored (by Lenny Kopp or if the owner does good work) can get that nowadays. When I had my 63 23, at 65 % restoration I sold it for $21k not running. Had it been running, painted nicely, correct bench seats, shiny belt line trim, etc I could've gotten $75-80k, 8 years ago.

A 1973 Roadrunner GTX (only 789 made) goes anywhere from $19k (DD in okay shape) to mid-60's, according to Hagerty, and my son's 1970.5 Camaro RS is worth $15k (or more), still needs body, paint, interior but runs great. Got it for $2500.

So I say if everyone starts listing theirs for a lot more, and people buy them, then great. But wait until I get mine for $15k or less first!

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Quote Originally Posted by Flicky View Post
    Aside from being dishonest; it could be someone, like a Delorean restoration shop, faking a listing so that the 35K ones look reasonable. Heck, maybe we should all put 55K listings up for junkier D's so that people start to think they are stealing our cars by talking us down to 40. I'm not just talking static listings, I'm talking making it look like the cars are selling for that much too. Right now the shops are just using their websites to make it look like cars are selling high. If they moved into making misleading listings in the same areas that are used by the general public, it would make valuations difficult after a year or so. Wouldn't you feel odd if you listed your car for 25 in a sea of 50K+ listings?

In the early 90s the market for muscle cars moved in a very rapidly upward way. Who would have figured that the AAR Cuda you could have got for 8K would be 35K in 4 years time. All that happened is people saw in magazines and on the newly created Speed TV that cars sold for a high price. Then they go and list their grandma's slant 6 Satellite for 15K calling it a "GTX Tribute".

Just like Barrett Jackson for the most part. Simply moving cars around, driving prices up

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    So I say if everyone starts listing theirs for a lot more, and people buy them, then great. But wait until I get mine for $15k or less first!
    lol, I sorta feel hypocritical when I wish our cars were worth a lot more, when I just bought mine a few years ago and certainly wouldn't have wanted it that way then!
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

I think it's the flux cap. Since mine isn't equipped with one, I'll price mine at $59k.
    It's about time that our cars start appreciating in value.
    By the way, I really like that car website. They really take very good photos. Makes cars look stunning. I am in love with the red stingray. Sell my D for $59k and just need to come up with another $60k.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

My neighbor told me yesterday he visited RK last week and saw this car in person. He told me it didn't look nearly as nice as mine.

I'm not saying this to try and build mine up or brag about it...just that the pics don't show the whole story.. He said the graining was all messed up and it had shallow dents throughout.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by RammJaeger View Post
    That is likely a too high of price for that car, but something has always struck me as odd about the Delorean community. They are the only car community I have ever seen that is averse to the value of their cars increasing. Any time someone prices a car even slightly above the going rate (and sometimes at or below the going rate) for a Delorean, the owners on this forum balk about it and say they are asking too much for the car. I say, if someone wants to start selling Deloreans for $70k, let them (if there is a buyer). Then maybe it will start making our $25k Deloreans worth $50k! The value can't increase if we're all beating the value back down. The "$25k rule" seems to go back at least 10 years, maybe more in this community. Perhaps we need to at least make it the "$26k Rule" or at least the "$25.5k Rule", and then in a few years make it the "$27k Rule".
    +1
    The community should start asking for higher sale prices because of the buzz this car makes whenever you go anywhere. So why not. Start with small increases. At least if your car is in great condition and maintained. Not talking about junkers. But I can now easily say that because I bought mine nearly half a year ago.
    We should at least calculate inflation into these prices. So it does not remain $25k forever. $25k these days are way less than 15 or 20 years ago. And people get the benefit to own a rare car with a great access to parts, too.
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast