FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The infamous $69,900 DeLorean!

My VIN:    16893

Quote Originally Posted by vps3922 View Post
    +1
    The community should start asking for higher sale prices because of the buzz this car makes whenever you go anywhere. So why not. Start with small increases. At least if your car is in great condition and maintained. Not talking about junkers. But I can now easily say that because I bought mine nearly half a year ago.
    We should at least calculate inflation into these prices. So it does not remain $25k forever. $25k these days are way less than 15 or 20 years ago. And people get the benefit to own a rare car with a great access to parts, too.
    Yes, exactly. Every person I meet that looks at my Delorean THINKS they are really expensive, and looks at me like I must be rich to own one. When they ask me how much I paid for it, I'm almost ashamed to tell them that I paid $18k for it. In their heads its a $30k+ car.

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

It also comes down to a lack of respect for the car and its unique history. I think the BTTF factor is something to consider, too - It has arguably made a very significant positive influence on building and strengthening the DeLorean community and Aftermarket. However, there is only so much money people are willing to spend on what is seen as a movie prop joke, let alone the number of people who are actually nerdy and (crazy ) enough to buy one because of the movie. I certainly don't aim to offend anyone on here, but I think that encouraging the BTTF jokes and having flux capacitors, etc. limits the value of this car for the vast majority of bigger-money collectors who could potentially bring some serious respect to our cars and, subsequently increase market values. If we, as a community, focus on things like its old-school driving experience, its contemporary Italian design and Lotus engineering, and the entrepreneurship of JZD, more car collectors may see it as something to consider owning.
    I wouldn't expect these to be really "big-money" cars (six figures) any time soon (largely due to the quantity still around), but I don't see why the $25k rule shouldn't be the $40k rule. Just my two cents.

Note: Don't get me wrong, I love BTTF (always have) and I think Time-Machine DeLoreans are awesome. But, I also love the DeLorean as an automotive design icon and I'd like it to be recognized and respected for something other than the movie and to be valued as such. Not to mention, if I ever sell it, it would be nice to make a few bucks to account for inflation and risk!
    Last edited by pezzonovante88; 05-26-2014 at 06:49 PM.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

My VIN:    Former 5452, currently in-love with 0747

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by pezzonovante88 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love BTTF (always have) and I think Time-Machine DeLoreans are awesome. But, I also love the DeLorean as an automotive design icon and I'd like it to be recognized and respected for something other than the movie and to be valued as such.

ABSOLUTELY!!! Perfectly phrased, my thoughts EXACTLY!
    -Dusty

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

+1

Quote Originally Posted by RammJaeger View Post
    Yes, exactly. Every person I meet that looks at my Delorean THINKS they are really expensive, and looks at me like I must be rich to own one. When they ask me how much I paid for it, I'm almost ashamed to tell them that I paid $18k for it. In their heads its a $30k+ car.
    This is partially why whenever someone asks I avoid answering the question. I think its pretty rude to ask that question anyway. I always say "more than I should have paid for it" or "its a nice toy i got for myself so I spent too much on it". I also say its not about how much it costs upfront its about how much it costs to keep it running. I always deflect. I've had people come up to me and say "this must have cost you like 100 grand!" I just smile and don't say anything.

My VIN:    3519

I bought 16076 in 2005 for $15k. it ran and drove fairly well but needed a lot of updates. It was lowered and looked nice overall. I had it for three years as a daily driver and eventually sold it for $23k. At the time, $15 to $18 k got you a nice driver. $25k was pretty low miles and had updates done, 50k and the sky was the limit.

I just bought 3519 in a non running state and it is painted. it's going to take a lot more work to get it up to acceptable spec, but I should still be ahead of the 25k curve. I paid $10k and I haven't seen ANYTHING else even near that. I have seen total wrecks sell for $9k.

Honestly, I am quite surprised and pleased that they have maintained value, but I have definitely seen an increase in market.

When people ask how much, I am not afraid to tell them. When they see how affordable and easy a delorean can be, they will want one, and drive up demand. This will in turn drive up value!

My VIN:    3060

limits the value of this car for the vast majority of bigger-money collectors who could potentially bring some serious respect to our cars and, subsequently increase market values.
    Will.I.Am's monstrosity certainly didn't help. Plenty of other celebrities own one (Seth McFarlane, Tony Parker, etc), but they aren't exactly extolling its virtues in public.

My VIN:    00778 and Formerly 06770.

Note: Don't get me wrong, I love BTTF (always have) and I think Time-Machine DeLoreans are awesome. But, I also love the DeLorean as an automotive design icon and I'd like it to be recognized and respected for something other than the movie and to be valued as such. Not to mention, if I ever sell it, it would be nice to make a few bucks to account for inflation and risk!
    Dracula felt the same way.....

Perhaps this guy's wife said sell it or else....so he did what I would do. List it for sale at a price nobody would be willing to pay. HaHa
    Last edited by GS450-Junkie; 05-27-2014 at 06:46 PM.

My VIN:    3462

Club(s):   (DOI)

If it wasn't for BTTF, 98% of people on the street would have no idea what the car is....that's the truth whether you want to believe it or not

My VIN:    01955

20+ years ago, Deloreans in Australia were worth around $80-100K. Import duties, conversion to RHD and compliance made them a very expensive investment.

Now, all you need to do is just pay Shipping and Import Duties. No need for conversions. So for those who had spent close to $80K would feel a little empty knowing that you could get a decent one for $40K landed.

But I do hope their values increase world wide. Generally people should ask for more to which they will end up going for more. If cheap, non running samples float around, it does nothing to keep values high.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast