FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Engine Compartment Plunger Switch

My VIN:    First 700

Engine Compartment Plunger Switch

Anyone know a replacement for this switch? Wire diagram looks like it is just making the ground. Mine is hopelessly broken beyond repair. I was trying to find a like replacement as a general part (amazon). I can't find it listed on the DMC parts list.

While we are talking switches, anyone know a good replacement for the door switches? I am thinking of going with magnetic switches. Why does the driver door have 2 and the pass door have 1?

Thanks

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Flicky View Post
    Anyone know a replacement for this switch? Wire diagram looks like it is just making the ground. Mine is hopelessly broken beyond repair. I was trying to find a like replacement as a general part (amazon). I can't find it listed on the DMC parts list.

While we are talking switches, anyone know a good replacement for the door switches? I am thinking of going with magnetic switches. Why does the driver door have 2 and the pass door have 1?

Thanks
    The part number is Part #:101629 at DMCH. It is in the Interior Lights category.

$24.93 in the DMC Shop.

Hope that helps.
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Thanks
    http://store.delorean.com/c-281-3-5-...ng-system.aspx

Same as the glovebox light switch.

The second one on the driver door is for the key buzzer. Lazy designers. Weird because there are otherwise diodes all over the car.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    03572

Thanks
    Your other option is mercury tilt switches. I used these on my doors and someday will put one on the engine cover. Only thing with those are most are rated at 500 ma. so you need to have LEDs in the door lights.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    3757

Well....

Mine was gone... But I did not want it on all the time the lid was open... So I installed a Rocker Switch... I can turn it on anytime I want.

Craig

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Special T carries one. http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/electrical.html

I have this and it works fine and I even received it in a timely manner!!
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    First 700

Thank you guys. I ordered the switch from DMC. I like that idea of having a manual toggle switch in there too for the best of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Your other option is mercury tilt switches. I used these on my doors and someday will put one on the engine cover. Only thing with those are most are rated at 500 ma. so you need to have LEDs in the door lights.
    I saw that you had mercury switches on a different post. Do you ever get any issues with vibrations or bumps? I also saw a switch that used like a big BB that moves in a case, that would eliminate the potential for mercury falling on my head should a bump break the glass. Your ingenuity for using the mercury switch is what got me thinking about the magnetic switches. I figured it will be a pain to get wires up to the doors/headliner. My problem with the magnetic switches is I can't figure out "normally closed" vs "normally open". Is the normal when the magnet is there or not there?

My VIN:    03572

I saw that you had mercury switches on a different post. Do you ever get any issues with vibrations or bumps? I also saw a switch that used like a big BB that moves in a case, that would eliminate the potential for mercury falling on my head should a bump break the glass. Your ingenuity for using the mercury switch is what got me thinking about the magnetic switches. I figured it will be a pain to get wires up to the doors/headliner. My problem with the magnetic switches is I can't figure out "normally closed" vs "normally open". Is the normal when the magnet is there or not there?
    No problems noted. Wires for doors are already there. Just ground the door lights and remove the switch. You want a normally open switch which would be the most common magnet switch. My glass switches are sealed in epoxy..
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

What I and a couple of other Houston owners have done to increase illumination in the engine compartment is to go to a local auto store and buy two LED strips that are about 1' long. They have a sticky backing and you can stick them to the underside of the engine cover. Wire them to the engine lighting system with a toggle switch. They do an amazing job at illuminating the engine area at night.
    Shannon

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    What I and a couple of other Houston owners have done to increase illumination in the engine compartment is to go to a local auto store and buy two LED strips that are about 1' long. They have a sticky backing and you can stick them to the underside of the engine cover. Wire them to the engine lighting system with a toggle switch. They do an amazing job at illuminating the engine area at night.
    That is a neat idea. Any pictures?
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast