FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How To: Installing DMCH Leather Seat Covers ... some thoughts

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

As Nick alluded to, installing the rigid plastic strips were easier before the bottom was hog ringed in place. I didn't have to remove the rubber bottom to do this. Because there were 3 holes in the strips, I opted to use the zip ties and stainless steel washers as well, as I figured they will help anchor the strips in place and fill in the holes in the seat bottom.

Before:
    image.jpg

I applied leather conditioner before and during the pulling and stretching process:
    image.jpg

Here is the underside right side bottom cushion finished:

image.jpg

After:
    image.jpg

This was my first attempt at upholstery work, so I took my time to try to install the skin properly, and I was pleased at how well it fit.

The upper half is next...
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

I was able to finish the upper half of the passenger seat today. Here are some additional thoughts:

As Nick mentioned, the DMCH seat covers have integrated plastic ribs all around, so you don't reuse the old metal ones. Here are some pictures:

The center ribs in the backrest...
    image.jpg

The 2 ribs in the headrest...
    image.jpg

Instead of using the plastic bag trick on the headrest, I used the approach in the "Slip Me Some Skin" instructions, to use a light spray of Silicone on the headrest foam. After that, the seat cover slipped right in place.

image.jpg

To help me draw the center ribs up to the "BBQ grill" for fastening, I put 4 temporary zip ties in them to grab onto.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Here is the final result...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

This was my first attempt at auto upholstery, so I took my time. It was a lot of work, but the end result is satisfying. I expect the other side to go somewhat quicker.

I took more step by step photos. They are in the interior restoration album if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My VIN:    4519

Nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Nice!!!
    Thanks Rich!

Well, I managed to get the Driver's seat done today:

image.jpg image.jpg

The estimate that I got from a quality auto upholstery shop to install 2 seat covers and repaint the seat rails/frame as required was $900.00. I thought that price was high, but man, that was a lot of work to do it myself. Still, I would do it again.

Some other thoughts after the second seat, I used an average of 135 hog rings per seat, and when you are pulling/coaxing the back of the headrest down to fasten, do the 2 seams first as they tend to spread out of place if you start with the middle.
    Dana

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    The estimate that I got from a quality auto upholstery shop to install 2 seat covers and repaint the seat rails/frame as required was $900.00. .
    That's VERY high.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    That's VERY high.
    Seems like the 'we don't really wanna have to do this job' price.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Seems like the 'we don't really wanna have to do this job' price.
    Yeah, based on their body language, I think they weren't sure how/scared to do it. After the owner quoted that price, I laughed while putting the seats back in the wagon. I said that price is not even in the right ballpark, and it was more than the price of the seat covers. Then I said that I'll do them myself.

It would be different if they were an expert in DeLorean seats, but I figured I'd better take the chance on my own skills, rather than paying and risking a hack job.
    Dana

My VIN:    02530

Can anyone tell me the trick to getting the hog rings on to the two horizontal brackets at the bottom of the headrest? Next to impossible to to the pliers in there.

My VIN:    754

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin 02530 View Post
    Can anyone tell me the trick to getting the hog rings on to the two horizontal brackets at the bottom of the headrest? Next to impossible to to the pliers in there.
    No hog rings, zip ties! See user "decobra" post from "slip me some skin" article in a Delorean magazine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My VIN:    02530

Thank you! Can't seem to find that article but I zip tied them anyhow. Worked out well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3