FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How To: Installing DMCH Leather Seat Covers ... some thoughts

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by nkemp View Post
    I'm not sure which article you are referring to. There is a reprint of a DeLorean magazine article that is OK as a general overview. Just disregard the parts referring to the wires in the old seat since you don't reuse them on the new DMCH leathers.
    "Slip me some skin", Gullwing Fall 2004, David Jacobs.

I didn't take any pictures of the new covers before I installed the covers. If you could do so, especially the bottom insides, then others will have an easier time visualizing the new seat bottoms.
    I'll take a bunch of pics; I can send them to you if you'd like a Moderator to add them to your post, and/or I can post 'em in the thread.

Great response....thanks for the help!

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I'll take a bunch of pics; I can send them to you if you'd like a Moderator to add them to your post, and/or I can post 'em in the thread.
    Adding them to my post would be perfect by my me.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

"Slip me some skin", Gullwing Fall 2004, David Jacobs.
    The article is worth reading but the installation parts are outdated if you use the DMCH covers. When you read the article and look at your new seat covers you'll see that you don't reuse any of the wires. Also, the lower seat does not use hog rings to pull the covers tight in the grooves. It will make more sense when you are looking at them.
    Nick

There is a good write-up on installing the leather seats from a while back. That writeup assumes that you are going to reuse the ribs from the old seats. But times and some products have changed. The DMCH seat covers I got recently do not need the old ribs since they have ribs sewn in. The bottoms are different in that they have a plastic strips about 2" wide that is used to retain the seat bottoms snug into the grooves. You no longer need to pull the bottoms tight to the underside of the rubber pad. Instead the plastic sheets hold it tight. I did not take a picture of the seat bottom ribs before installing so if someone has one feel free to add it to the thread.
    I'm not sure if I'm seeing what jives with this or not.

Mine do not have ribs sewn in, they have sleeves that very much resemble the original configuration. I'm also not finding any plastic strips.

P7231765 - Copy.jpg

Mine do not have ribs sewn in, they have sleeves that very much resemble the original configuration. I'm also not finding any plastic strips.

P7231765 - Copy.jpg
    That does not look like the ones I purchased earlier this summer. Instead of sleeves, there is fabric sewed to plastic. You pull the plastic through the foam and lay it flat against the foam and that is what holds the seat bottoms in place. For yours, use the info in the writeup mentioned above.

Have fun ... and wear gloves when pulling the old hog rings!
    Nick

My VIN:    3695

Club(s):   (DCN)

I've got those exact same covers as the picture. It's the seat bottom cover right? The backrest covers did have the sewed plastic lines for the headrest and inserts.
    Rob van der Veer

My mods? DeClock, keyless entry, Alpine audio setup, and much more.

My VIN:    06960

P7231765 - Copy.jpg
    You should see 6 circles, 3 on each side, drawn in silver marker. These mark where you need to cut holes, and transfer a wire from the old seat bottom. The built-in loops in that wire then secure to the bottom of the seat.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    You should see 6 circles, 3 on each side, drawn in silver marker. These mark where you need to cut holes, and transfer a wire from the old seat bottom. The built-in loops in that wire then secure to the bottom of the seat.
    Thanks Jim,

I found two circles on each side; one of the loops hangs out the end of the sleeve so no need to cut out for that one.

The confusion is due to his seatcovers being a different style than mine (his doesn't use the bolster wires, if I'm folllowing correctly.)

I'm almost done....this is no fun, but it's looking good!

My VIN:    06960

Oh yea, I forgot one side stuck out the end. Nick's covers also confused me when he was telling me about them. Must have been a recent production change.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Oh yea, I forgot one side stuck out the end. Nick's covers also confused me when he was telling me about them. Must have been a recent production change.
    I'm late to this informative thread.... I think they were a production change. I am installing DMCH seat covers currently that I got a while ago. The date stamped on the underside was 11 07 14. Here are 2 pictures of the rigid plastic tabs.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'll post my experience that adds to the information already posted.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast