FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor storage with a cover

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Outdoor storage with a cover

My car is going to be living outside for a while.

In the past, for short term outdoor storage here in the north west I've used my DMCH silver car cover plus one heavy duty tarp to keep it drier and cleaner. Of course, the problem with the tarp is that it seems to hold moisture underneath. I actually noticed some rustier bolts after a month this past winter when it lived outside in January.

I really like the DMCH cover, and I've "heard" its water proof, but my gut feeling is that it's more "weather resistant." I bought it to keep the dust off during indoor storage. It would be great for UV protection outside, but the northwest gets a lot of rain, and I don't want to completely ruin it. Hence the tarp, to protect the car AND DMCH cover, but if it does more harm than good due to moisture, whats the point?

At this juncture we are transitioning to our dry time of the year, and I don't foresee storing it well into the fall when the rains start again. We get a lot of rain up here, but we have relatively low humidity if that makes any difference.

What are your thoughts and experiences with this?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

I once tried the DMCH one outside in moderate rain - the car was soaked. I'm sure if it just spat rain for a little while it would've been okay.
    I don't really think there are any "breathable" car covers that will truly prevent the car from getting wet in any sort of significant rainfall.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

You really don't want a waterproof cover. If you did, you could just use plastic drop cloth. And the car would get wet from condensation and never dry out.

The idea is that it is "breathable" and will shed most heavy rainwater but some may get in. It will also let it dry out after the rain. It will keep the sun and most dirt off the car. You can't cover the bottom so some dirt will blow in, and you will get condensation when temperature and humidity changes from cool to warm/humid. I believe you are in a wet climate so it's different than covering an outdoor car in Arizona for example.

Rather than a double layer (you are messing up the breathability) you'd be better using a cover and then a separate tent over the whole thing that does not touch the car. Probably not practical.

Rent a garage.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    4494

Club(s):  

As I mentioned in another thread, I have a cover from here; http://www.projectvixen.com/sitestor...Car-Covers.htm, specifically the Technalon one.

I used it for a period when my car arrived earlier into the UK than expected and I needed to keep her outside during the light rainfall in April. Kept the car nice and dry without trapping moisture undearneath. Also was easy to clean after a few birds decided to use my DeLorean for target practise. Also it folds down neatly (if you're patient) for fitting in the boot (though I've had it on the luggage rack too when going on a journey, using the engine heat to help it dry!).

I would highly recommend it!

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Thanks folks!
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Park the car on top of the blue tarp and then put the cover on.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Park the car on top of the blue tarp and then put the cover on.
    I have used a "Car Capsule" which is like the Carcoon which was sold at one time by DMCH. It is an outdoor version. It has a bottom you drive the car onto and then with a zipper you close the top over the car, start the fans and fill it with air. It is an inflatable structure that only touches the car on the bottom of each tire. The fans run continuously, circulating air. and inflating the cover. If it is very humid outside it becomes humid inside. If it is hot outside it gets even hotter inside. It is better than nothing and better than a tarp or a cover but it is nowhere as good as indoor storage. If anyone is interested it is for sale now, the car I was using it for is for sale so I no longer need it.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3028

I find the problem with car covers is that they touch the car. I had one on a car over the winter and after the winter, the movement of the cover by the wind rubbed out the paint in several areas. On a D paint is not a problem but it would probably mess up the grain.

If I had to store again I think some carport structure is the way I would go. If you want a true waterproof tarp you can always spray it with rustoleum's waterproofing product.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-cat...t/neverwet-kit
    Barry

My VIN:    6125

I got a coupon for this in the mail the other day from Harbor Freight and thought of this thread.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x...age-69039.html

...might be an option, although kind of an expensive one. Overall the reviews on the website seem positive.

My VIN:    10309

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I have used a "Car Capsule" which is like the Carcoon which was sold at one time by DMCH. It is an outdoor version. It has a bottom you drive the car onto and then with a zipper you close the top over the car, start the fans and fill it with air. It is an inflatable structure that only touches the car on the bottom of each tire. The fans run continuously, circulating air. and inflating the cover. If it is very humid outside it becomes humid inside. If it is hot outside it gets even hotter inside. It is better than nothing and better than a tarp or a cover but it is nowhere as good as indoor storage. If anyone is interested it is for sale now, the car I was using it for is for sale so I no longer need it.
    Any chance you still have it? I just found out my car will be spending about a year outside.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast