FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Horn high/low note = same?

My VIN:    10142

Horn high/low note = same?

Hello,

i just took of my horns in order to clean and renew them. That way i found it i actually have 2 high note horns on the car, atleast what they are labeled
    on the underside. Also both horns do face the power (+) connector going to the left (from the driver's view).
    As far as i understand there should be a high (driver side) and low (passanger side) horn, however the later seems to be a high unit on my car.

Can anyone check from the underside and confirm that the passanger horn reads "low note" and if the power connector (+) is facing outwards from the car or pointing to the middle of the car?

I am guessing someone sometime replaced that horn and just put in the wrong one.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jonas21 View Post
    Hello,

I am guessing someone sometime replaced that horn and just put in the wrong one.
    You have one wrong horn.

http://store.delorean.com/p-6957-ass...high-note.aspx

http://store.delorean.com/p-6956-ass...w-note.aspxdsf

They are physically made the reverse of each other as well.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10142

Thanks for the clarification, i'll get a new low horn then.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Excellent post. After reading this, I discovered one of mine is non-stock. I'll have to address that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Here's another good thread about the stock horns:

http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.p...ker-Is-Engaged

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Both of my horns are non-stock. I have no idea where they came from. My car sounds like a Barbie Power Wheels when I honk. It's sort of (ok, VERY) embarrassing. One of these days I'll get new, correct horns...
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Both of my horns are non-stock. I have no idea where they came from. My car sounds like a Barbie Power Wheels when I honk. It's sort of (ok, VERY) embarrassing. One of these days I'll get new, correct horns...
    FYI - if the stock/OEM horns aren't paired and operating correctly, they can be quite 'embarrassing' sounding as well.

My VIN:    4245

Club(s):   (DMA)

I'm interested in adding two more horns for a four note honk. But what notes are the DeLorean high and low?

My VIN:    01955

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    FYI - if the stock/OEM horns aren't paired and operating correctly, they can be quite 'embarrassing' sounding as well.
    I think both of mine were "high noted" as the car just sounded terrible. I just swapped one with a GMH Astra horn. Now she sounds like she has some balls. Interestingly though, when I installed both GMH horns, they didn't work at all.

Someone wrote (I think it was on the UK Forum) that the electrics didn't have enough grunt to run them. Too much load on the electrical circuit. Not sure if this was true. If it was too much, surely it would had blown a fuse?
    Last edited by SIMid; 08-19-2014 at 11:58 PM.

My VIN:    2678

I believe that the horns may draw too much power for the wiring that is running from fuse #6 to the horn/signal switch and then to the horns. They will not blow the fuse because they cannot draw enough power. Which results in a weak sound. Or in my case, they will not sound at all. If I connect only the left or the right horn, each is working. But together they just give a short snap. When the engine (and so the alternator) is running, the voltage is somewhat higher and then both horns are working. But not very loud. So I am also thinking about adding a relay and additional wiring to get more power to the horns.

--Peter
    Always a filled fuel tank.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast