FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Need LED help for my kitchen

My VIN:    6654

Club(s):   (DCF)

Need LED help for my kitchen

I have under and above cabinet lighting in my kitchen with glass wedge bases. On the bulb it has "T168" and it is 12.8 volts.

I was trying to find replacements and LED's kept coming up. Will they work? What should I order. I have about 30 feet with 6 bulbs per foot. To replace them all that's a lot of bulbs 180.

LED's have been discussed here for our DeLorean's and there is a lot of knowledge here I'd like to tap into.

012.jpg005.jpg
    Last edited by Lenny; 06-07-2014 at 08:49 PM.
    Thanks,
    Lenny

DMCH New Build in 2005, Stage II, DPI Stainless Exhaust, Eibach Suspension, 170 Mph Speedometer, Xenon Lights, Wings-A-Loft, DMC Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3rd Brake Light

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

If the lights are out of sight, the 5050 led strip are the way to go. In fact go ahead and get the RGB instead of the single color for just a few bucks more. That way you can have any color and brightness you desire. They are pre resisted for 12v and I have seen a lot of YouTube videos of people doing ceiling up lighting with them. A 15' run of rgb led's will run you about 20 bucks and you will need a decent power supply and controller which will be another 15 to 20 bucks. Very cheap and very easy to install.

upon reading your post again I see you are just wanting the bulbs themselves and not wanting to replace the entire fixture mount. The push in LED's sold as replacements (much like those in our door lights) will have a blue color to them unless you can source the "warm white" color. Get about a dozen extras for burnouts.
    Last edited by Michael; 06-07-2014 at 10:12 PM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi Lenny,

Those are 168 (wedge) incandescent 12V bulbs.

If you wish to keep the same fixture, you could just replace those with LED Wedge bulbs directly.

Something like from here: LED Wedge Bulbs
    ..you may be able to find some at local autoparts store, and definitely on eBay as well.

If you're going for the same color look as a dimmed incandescent, then shop for "warm white" ones.

Good luck.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    First 700

http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Wat...=AXEJGN8WLZD9M

under $17. I use these for effect lighting in a cove around my room and to light my deck over my hot tub. I also use them all over my house for Christmas lights. You could get cheaper non-waterproof, but I am guessing these are under cabinets so they might get splashed.

I'd defiantly pull the fixtures you have and replace with these strips. Even if you need to hire a handyman to do it. Staying with bulbs (5w each?) is take some big juice and making things hot.

If you are dead set on keeping the fixture as is, maybe you could spread them out and use these. $24 for a pack of 10, and they would be very bright.
    http://www.amazon.com/GRV-24-3528-Su...THRF30WCNGN4K9

My VIN:    First 700

sorry double up... but looking at the fixture more close it is not what I was thinking. I don't think any of the LEDs are going to fit in there. Looks like the 2 pieces separate and the holes are exactly as big as the bulbs. Most LEDs are going to be a little fatter and longer than the bulb. You will have to pay close attention to size.