FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Chipped Center Console Repair

My VIN:    781

Question Chipped Center Console Repair

One of the next big jobs on my car is a pretty heavy interior restoration. I have a plan and parts for 99% of the work, but the one thing that still eludes me are two fairly obvious chips on my center console right below the window switches. From looking at it I can't really tell if this is painted or covered with some other material as it has a definite texture.

Has anyone had experience with repairing this or a similar issue and what materials are needed? I've included some images of the damage to give some better insight to what I'm dealing with. Sorry for the poor lighting, our power in the garage is out at the moment.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    When this baby hits 88 miles per hour...your going over the speed limit.

My VIN:    03572

That part is steel with a thin vinyl "glued" onto it. I once bought some textured vinyl to recover a Marshall guitar amp. You may find something with that which may be a close match.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    That part is steel with a thin vinyl "glued" onto it. I once bought some textured vinyl to recover a Marshall guitar amp. You may find something with that which may be a close match.
    I had one of those interior-repair guys who generally frequents used-car lots do a passable job on that. They use some sort of liquified vinyl, Not a perfect repair but better than painting it.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    781

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    I had one of those interior-repair guys who generally frequents used-car lots do a passable job on that. They use some sort of liquified vinyl, Not a perfect repair but better than painting it.
    I have a local interior restoration shop that will be helping with some of the bigger jobs, like A-pillars. When I talk to them next I'll see if they know anyone with that sort of skill set. At the very least he might be able to redirect me to who I need to talk to.

It's a shame DMC doesn't offer the part anymore as that would save a lot of trouble. I wonder if this is a common issue? I can't find much online literature on it so I'm thinking no.
    When this baby hits 88 miles per hour...your going over the speed limit.

My VIN:    6125

For what it's worth there are usually a few center console pads floating around on the interwebs from guys that convert their cars into time machines. That whole piece gets removed and replaced by an aluminum plate with props mounted to it. If you end up not being happy with the repair you might be able to find a good used one. I think a while back Videobob was on here selling 3 or 4 of them.