FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Water Pump plug-How to tighten?

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Water Pump plug-How to tighten?

Hi there,

I am testing my new coolant system. I am holding 15 lbs, but there is a small weep around the copper seal of the plug on the water pump. The problem is that there is no room to fit a 19 mm socket or open wrench to tighten it because of the flange on the pump.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dana

image.jpg
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    4055

Club(s):   (DMA)

Water Pump plug-How to tighten?

Give the bolt 1-2 wraps of Teflon tape. Use a new crush washer. Then I used needle nose locking pliers to grab the bolt head and crank it down when I swapped that bolt from my old pump to my new one. Took a while but did the job without cutting into the bolt too much.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Buy better thin wall sockets.

Sent from phone
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    4055

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Buy better thin wall sockets.

Sent from phone
    Well yeah, if you want to do it the right way! .

But yes. Thinner walled socked would make it much easier. Surprisingly I was able to get the bolt off the old pump with my normal 19mm socket. Just couldn't get it onto the new pump with it. I resorted to my locking pliers because it was late and I was tired and frustrated.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had the bolt re-plated and used a new copper washer. I bought 2 thin wall sockets, but there still wasn't enough room. I was able to tighten it some last night using a 3/4" crows foot. The cooling system held 15 lbs all night, and there was only a drop on the plug this morning. So it's almost there.

I'll try to find another thin wall socket or the needle nose vice grips.

Thanks a bunch!

Dana
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My VIN:    5180

Sockets are Cheap, modify the one you have with a grinder to fit. Obviously you're spending the extra $$$ to have things re-plated, in the end it's a trivial cost sacrifice. You never know it might come in handy someplace else one day.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Sockets are Cheap, modify the one you have with a grinder to fit. Obviously you're spending the extra $$$ to have things re-plated, in the end it's a trivial cost sacrifice. You never know it might come in handy someplace else one day.
    Ha! Good idea. I'll try that before I break out the vice grips.

Thanks.
    Dana

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    +1
    I've cut some sockets down on my lathe for other people needing a special fit.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Success!! I ground off half of the thickness of the socket wall 1/3 of the way around, and it worked. Cost.. $6.

Thanks for the suggestions.

image.jpg
    Dana

My VIN:    5180

👌🏻
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast