FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A/C Belt Replacement

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    Wow - I'm gonna have to go look at my car later and see if I have the 3rd one. I'm sure I do , but I swear I only loosened two when doing my AC belt replacement O_O...
    #3 in Ozzie's pic would not have been messed with if you just loosened the tensioner to replace the belt.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    #3 in Ozzie's pic would not have been messed with if you just loosened the tensioner to replace the belt.
    Ah I see! And that's exactly why I only remember 2 ! FWIW, I do have the 3rd bolt
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Here we go again...

So I've had the belt running on the car for a little over a month now and I've noticed this one starting to fray also. Is a misalignment causing my new belt to fray? And if so, how do I fix it?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    So I've had the belt running on the car for a little over a month now and I've noticed this one starting to fray also. Is a misalignment causing my new belt to fray? And if so, how do I fix it?
    Eyeball the alignment to check that the belt is running straight. The idler pulleys only go on one way, including spacers. You DID get the bolt spacers back on beneath the idler bracket and the cam cover, right? Under #1 and #2 bolt in the photo on 30 July?

If it's all straight keep in mind that a slight bit of fraying is OK on a new belt. Carefully slice off the offending threads, then check it occasionally to make sure it stays in good shape.

Could also be a bad belt.

My VIN:    16409

My Failed DMCH AC Belt

So I recently installed one of those "DeLorean.com" AC belts on my car and it has already failed. As you can see from the picture, it has separated. I kind of suspected failure was coming because it started to fray. Luckily I had a belt on order from Amazon. I searched for Gates 9530, and they had them in stock, only nine bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-9530-V-Belt/dp/B000C2SHI8

I thought that was a good deal, cheaper than the auto part stores. Besides, isn't Gates supposed to be one of the best brands? I've heard of a heavy duty variant of this belt, but it seemed to cost much more.
    Attached Images
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    So I recently installed one of those "DeLorean.com" AC belts on my car and it has already failed. As you can see from the picture, it has separated. I kind of suspected failure was coming because it started to fray. Luckily I had a belt on order from Amazon. I searched for Gates 9530, and they had them in stock, only nine bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-9530-V-Belt/dp/B000C2SHI8

I thought that was a good deal, cheaper than the auto part stores. Besides, isn't Gates supposed to be one of the best brands? I've heard of a heavy duty variant of this belt, but it seemed to cost much more.
    The last one and this one are both DMCH belts and are exhibiting the same type of fraying. I have trimmed off the offending fray and am continuing to monitor it. the alignment looks good and the tension looks sat as well. The one before this was done professionally at DMCFL. I followed the instructions I was given on this forum to a "T" So I guess I'll just have to wait and see if this is the "acceptable amount of fraying" or if its chronic o 1258.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

You didn't let Steve attach a chain to your pulley, did you?

Check and make sure the pulleys don't have nicks in them, and that the belt can't rub anything else...

My VIN:    ex-01678

Here is a link to the Gates online catalog with the heavy duty belt: http://tinyurl.com/42u84h6
    I have used the heavy duty version in the past which I think I got from Grady. It was only about $5 more. This looks a little different in color but the specs are very similar.

Jeff

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    You didn't let Steve attach a chain to your pulley, did you?
    No, LOL!

Check and make sure the pulleys don't have nicks in them, and that the belt can't rub anything else...
    The pulleys and brackets are the refurbished ones that Hervey sells, so I don't think there are nicks in them. I was using my old belt just fine, but my friend Ryan needed a belt, so I gave him the old one and installed my new DMCH one. It's funny because he had a Houston belt that just failed. The only thing is that I made it too tight. I was under the impression, that you should not be able to freely spin idler pulley.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

You didn't let Steve attach a chain to your pulley, did you
    Hehe.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast