FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A/C Belt Replacement

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

I have seen many cars lately with gates/dayco/dmch belts installed with one of the edges frayed. This is caused by an issue with the pulley alignment. You can tell which way the pulleys are belt by the side the belt is worn on. Also if you have a VERY loose idler bearing that is cocking the pulley under tension this can also cause the belt to ride unevenly on the pulley.

Another notable thing to check for is corrosion on any of the pulley's. Cars that have sat for a period of time develop mild scaling on the pulley grooves where the plating has either been compromised or worn off over the years. This acts like sand paper on a rubber belt.

The final failure can occur from incorrect installation of the entire pulley bracket assembly. If you have the incorrect shims installed or in the wrong locations etc you will have the same issue time and again regards of how many belts you install. It will be a dead give away if it is installed incorrectly. But the bolts are long enough to put the spacers in backwards and still seal the timing cover o ring plate.

and the final comment of the day. Always be careful installing the two bolts that thread directly into the timing cover. It is very easy to destroy the threads on the two holes. It is possibly to helicoil the threads in car with the proper tools without removing the cover, yet it is anything but fun to do. If you pull either of these bolts out and see aluminum threads on the bolts immediately repair prior to installation again. If you run the bolts back in they will back off with two results. Throwing a belt and a nasty oil leak down the front of your engine.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post

When I finally figured out I was missing that long tension bolt, I put it back and in and had to laugh at how easy it was doing it as intended, and retired my 2x4 for other duties.
    Like tensionng the alternator belt?
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The number of failing DMCH belts has been an issue for a while. No specific cause has been attributed to them. As in Bad Batch or Installation Related. I'd stick with a Gates Dayco or Goodyear and always keep a spare Alt/waterpump belt in the car. Cheap insurance. Mine is in the Spare tire well.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Wild.

Just today I noticed a fray - like a thread coming off a sweater - on my DMCH A/C belt, and I don't even have A/C! I just run it for looks. I've got brand new bearings in my idler pulleys too.

In know the spacers are right because the first time I reinstalled everything they were obviously wrong.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Just today I noticed a fray - like a thread coming off a sweater - on my DMCH A/C belt, and I don't even have A/C!
    It looks like we may have an epidemic on our hands!
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    10694

What are the specs of the tensioning bolt?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    Good job!

...actually when I first got my car, that tension bolt wasn't there and I had no other car to reference. When I finally figured out I was missing that long tension bolt, I put it back and in and had to laugh at how easy it was doing it as intended
    I *USED* to have a belt tension bolt, but it must have fallen off somewhere between here and everywhere.
    You don't appreciate what you have until it's gone. I should have taken note of it's length and diameter, and thread kind.
    Would a kind soul please tell me the specs so's I can go down to the hardware store and pick up one? (Maybe a lock nut too!)
    Thanks!
    Oliver

m8 1.25 by 100mm long.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

It's M8 x 1.25 or standard coarse pitch. It's about 100 mm long and FULLY threaded. That may be difficult for you to find. Normal bolts are shanked and only the first 30 mm or so is threaded. You might get lucky though.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 02-22-2014 at 11:05 AM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

There is a trick to not loosing the bolt. Essentially it is a jam nut situation with one nut fixed to the bracket and the other loose. Replace the loose nut with a nyloc and the vibration problem goes away. Works every time here at DPI.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    10694

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    m8 1.25 by 100mm long.
    Thanks, Bunches!
    O.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast