FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: squealing water pump?

My VIN:    3425

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    Sounds like you're chasing the same noise I am. Do you have one of these? http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-Me.../dp/B0002SQYSM

I may help you track the noise down to a certain part of the engine.
    Yes I looked at your post and that's what I tought that we had the same problem but I did'nt want to hijack your thread.
    I never used a stethoscope I usually use a screw driver and it works fine. Though I could borrow one.
    Today I've put the smoke machine on the intake and I had a leak on the right part of the w pipe even if I had new gaskets. I've put silicone and I'll see if that was the problem.
    With the smoke machine I unfortunately found that I still have to leaking injectors the same ones that were leaking before I changed the injector seals ??? I'll have to double check that.
    Thank's for your help. I'm going for 4 days and sunday I'll check If the noise was coming from the leak I fixed. I have a doubt but I'll see. The noise is so loud I'm shy to drive it
    Thank's again
    1981 DMC-12 16000 miles manual tranny
    1979 Porsche 928
    1970 Porsche 911T 1986 turbo look
    1992 Toyota Mr2 GT Turbo RHD

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by delorean928 View Post
    Yes I looked at your post and that's what I tought that we had the same problem but I did'nt want to hijack your thread.
    I never used a stethoscope I usually use a screw driver and it works fine. Though I could borrow one.
    Today I've put the smoke machine on the intake and I had a leak on the right part of the w pipe even if I had new gaskets. I've put silicone and I'll see if that was the problem.
    With the smoke machine I unfortunately found that I still have to leaking injectors the same ones that were leaking before I changed the injector seals ??? I'll have to double check that.
    Thank's for your help. I'm going for 4 days and sunday I'll check If the noise was coming from the leak I fixed. I have a doubt but I'll see. The noise is so loud I'm shy to drive it
    Thank's again
    Careful with silicone on the W pipe, it can foul up sensors and the W pipe comes off frequently so you'll constantly be cleaning and re-sealing that. The paper gasket should be sufficient...
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    3425

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Careful with silicone on the W pipe, it can foul up sensors and the W pipe comes off frequently so you'll constantly be cleaning and re-sealing that. The paper gasket should be sufficient...
    Thank's for the advice. The paper gasket was'nt sufficient in my case. I finished to work on my D tonight and after resealing the w pipe no more leak with the smoke machine
    I ran the engine until warm and no more noise I swear I was sure it was'nt from a vacuume leak but a mechanical noise and yes it's gone. It was leaking in the middle of the w pipe on the right hand intake.
    Thank's to all for the help.
    1981 DMC-12 16000 miles manual tranny
    1979 Porsche 928
    1970 Porsche 911T 1986 turbo look
    1992 Toyota Mr2 GT Turbo RHD

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    Make sure the bolts on the w-pipe on the air intake are tight. That can make a squealing/whistling noise if air is escaping.
    Quote Originally Posted by delorean928 View Post
    Thank's for the advice. The paper gasket was'nt sufficient in my case. I finished to work on my D tonight and after resealing the w pipe no more leak with the smoke machine
    I ran the engine until warm and no more noise I swear I was sure it was'nt from a vacuume leak but a mechanical noise and yes it's gone. It was leaking in the middle of the w pipe on the right hand intake.
    Thank's to all for the help.
    Glad it is fixed!
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

After that W-pipe has been on and off a few times the ears actually bend microscopically and cause the sealing problem even with new gaskets. Some sealant is often needed even though the factory didn't use it the first time. Would have been a much nicer design had Renault not cheaped out on the other four bolts there.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    After that W-pipe has been on and off a few times the ears actually bend microscopically and cause the sealing problem even with new gaskets. Some sealant is often needed even though the factory didn't use it the first time. Would have been a much nicer design had Renault not cheaped out on the other four bolts there.
    I had no idea! Guess I've been lucky then, I've had mine off dozens of times and the paper gaskets still work
    Jon

My VIN:    4534

Glad to hear your noise is fixed. Hopefully I'll get time to work on mine and find it is something that simple.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I had no idea! Guess I've been lucky then, I've had mine off dozens of times and the paper gaskets still work
    Apparently yours were never reinstalled by some nut case with an impact tool.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Apparently yours were never reinstalled by some nut case with an impact tool.
    Good point. I got extremely lucky with my car that it appears to have been driven regularly, properly maintained, garaged at all times and never worked on by any morons Other than the hack job car-stereo-and-alarm that wasn't even all that difficult to remove and re-do properly.

Which part deforms? The W-pipe or the manifold itself? Both?
    Jon

My VIN:    1596

Club(s):   (DMA)

Excellent thread guys. I thought the pulleys or the belts were squealing, but the W pipe just wasn't tight enough. Thanks for the help with my problem du jour.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2