FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: A car show idea and other talk

My VIN:    3937

A car show idea and other talk

So back to back cruise nights the last two nights. I gotta admit, I'm glad I went to both While there was an oddly high percentage of comments from "that guy" at the beginning, it seemed to be all out of the way early and improved later on. Last night I actually had the Comment Bingo cards with me and considered playing. With no bingo dabber on hand, I just made a mental note of the comments and pretty sure I had "bingo'ed" in the 1st ten minutes! Is it just me or is it for some reason usually the old silver haired guys that either a) tend to be the know it alls with their "New Brunswick" and "he was a crook" comments as well as b) when you get to be 70+ it's okay to need to run your fingers all over my stainless??

So I drove in with a friend who has a right hand drive Nissan Skyline GTR. We hadn't seen each others cars before so that was pretty cool. He said to me part way through the show "ya know, normally with the right hand drive part, I'm usually the centre of attention" Not tonight though, man was there a lot of people checking out the DeLorean.

He had a pretty neat idea though. At one point early on we decided to go for a walk and leave the cars. I said I was just going to close the doors before walking away, and he said "you should get one of those 'back in 10 minutes' signs." I was like, ya, you know the kind that sometimes hang in the window of a convenience store if the clerk left the counter for a minute? The ones where it's a simple image of a clock and numbers, but you can slide around the arms of the clock to show what time you'll be back? I thought what better than to get one of those and maybe on purpose show you'll return like 10 mintes before you left, lol. I think it would be subtle for most, but a few people might get it. I'll keep an eye out for one of these signs at the dollar store or something, haha.

And a few times last night I got talking to fans of the car and BTTF about movie inaccuracies. I always kind of mention how the odometer in the movie goes from 33,063 or something for a couple screen shots, but then goes back to 32,995 on about the 3rd image of it while Marty is outrunning the Lybians in the Twin Pines Mall parking lot. I usually show them too how the horn isn't on the centre of the steering wheel unlike how Marty supposedly hits his head on the wheel to get the car to start and the horn goes off. Same goes for how the speedometer only goes to 85 mph.

I did think of one other thing recently... when Marty stalls the car just before 10:04 pm and it shows the tach die, doesn't the needle go to zero? I need to pop the movie in and double check, but isn't this another small inaccuracy in the movie since we know the needle stays at whatever RPM you shut the car off at? I have an auto, but I would have figured the manual would still shut off with the needle at the last RPM, and not at zero?

Anyway, good couple car shows. Might just be changing my opinion on going to them

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

If the engine stalls with the ignition on the tach will read zero.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC