FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How To: Door lock solenoid REPLACEMENT with actuator

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    Just a little correction: the original solenoids are not "switched polarity" but are two separate coils either of which is powered in isolation, hence two feeds with a common ground. The original system is elegant in design but atrocious in its execution and cheap and easy to make robust if you know what you're doing. Original solenoids are almost always burnt out but if you're lucky and you fix the module before it sticks, they're good for the life of the car. Alternatively they can be re-wound.
    Thanks, Martin. (As an aside, I removed the original door lock module since my solenoids are still working very strongly and I wanted to keep them that way. My plan was to install a lock module like Rob has done, with remote keyless entry but without openers.)

If I understand this correctly, both motor legs of the locks are normally open, and the switch connects alternately to both +12 and ground/earth when engaged? Is this why the solenoids have two leads instead of just one? So for example when I press the switch on "lock," it connects +12v to wire A and ground/earth to wire B, and when I press the switch on "unlock," it connects ground/earth to wire A and +12v to wire B?
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    3695

Club(s):   (DCN)

no,

the original soldenoids are wired like this: 2 control wires A and B, and a ground.
    both control wires are open.
    put 12v on A (B unconnected), the door locks
    put 12v on the B (A unconnected), doors unlock.

this is called positive pulse.

The module i have works as you describe, just two wires, 12/- locks, -/12 unlocks. this is positive/negative pulse. I must add that i no longer have central locking when using the door locks manually.

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Quote Originally Posted by robvanderveer View Post
    I must add that i no longer have central locking when using the door locks manually.
    Correct! Either when using a key (why would you anyway when you have a remote) or the interior lock handle.

That is why I will be using one of the center console switches for central locking unlocking, like the modern cars have.
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXAKOS View Post
    Correct! Either when using a key (why would you anyway when you have a remote) or the interior lock handle.

That is why I will be using one of the center console switches for central locking unlocking, like the modern cars have.
    I have not found a way (yet) with my module to trigger a lock or unlock other that using the remote, like you describe. The only way is using the remote (that will open/close both door), or mechanically (using the key in the door, or the rocker switch on the door itself). It will do for now, but I will keep my eyes open for a module that does have that option.

The reason : my keyless entry is a remote-that-can-be-used-as-a-locking-system, but it is not a central locking system. It is so cheap because it should be installed as an add-in to your existing central locking system. This is why it is so cheap, and also the reason why there are no actuators with the kit. And most importantly: the diagram says the 6 wires should connect to your central locking.

Lots of info here:

http://dmcnews.com/Techsection/doorlocks.htm

As to how to rewind them - this is tricky - took me a while to master!
    Last edited by DCUK Martin; 06-20-2014 at 02:14 PM.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Thanks for the link, Martin. Hm, interesting some of the info is from you as well - looks like you've been at this for a while yet

Smart idea to have the module drive only relays. Simple but effective mod, albeit very space-consuming...

Not planning to rewind mine as long as they still work.

OK, I think I've hijacked this thread enough. Sorry
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    6679

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXAKOS View Post
    I did likewise - wouldn't be without it!

Chris

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Quote Originally Posted by Tillsy View Post
    I did likewise - wouldn't be without ]
    You have mastered it Tillsy
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

i had a spare lock actuator so i mounted it as a trunk release. Photo is work in progress.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404056478.964169.jpg
    Rob van der Veer

My mods? DeClock, keyless entry, Alpine audio setup, and much more.

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by robvanderveer View Post
    i had a spare lock actuator so i mounted it as a trunk release. Photo is work in progress.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404056478.964169.jpg
    Toby sells this as kit. Maybe someone had a digital copy of his instructions to see how it's all set up.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast