FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the Lambda relay always get hot?

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I never made a Lambda relay for plug and play. It just takes one wire change to use the standard relay or one of my solid state standard relays.

Yes the Lambda relay gets hot. Never knew why the design used a relay with two common output pins. I guess they were trying to fix an electrical noise problem. This was the second relay I replaced after the RPM relay because of the heating and the fact it is always on with the engine running.

All you need to do is pull the center pin (red/purple wire) from the socket and connect that wire to the green/yellow wire on the pin above the center.
    I've always found odd that fuse #7 wires have 2 different gauges (obviously smaller toward the lambda relay); in my car I kept the smaller wire going to the the lambda relay socket, but I have added a new bigger wire going from the fuse to the rpm relay connector, and I removed the original brown wire going from the lambda relay socket to the rpm relay connector
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

I never made a Lambda relay for plug and play. It just takes one wire change to use the standard relay or one of my solid state standard relays.

Yes the Lambda relay gets hot. Never knew why the design used a relay with two common output pins. I guess they were trying to fix an electrical noise problem. This was the second relay I replaced after the RPM relay because of the heating and the fact it is always on with the engine running.

All you need to do is pull the center pin (red/purple wire) from the socket and connect that wire to the green/yellow wire on the pin above the center.
    Dave,
    It seems like it would be handy to have an electronic Lambda relay direct replacement. I know it seems simple to change one wire but it's a pain to monkey around with the relay sockets. Does your electronic relay have the additional pin and could it be opened up and altered with a jumper so it has two output pins?

Ron

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Dave,
    It seems like it would be handy to have an electronic Lambda relay direct replacement. I know it seems simple to change one wire but it's a pain to monkey around with the relay sockets. Does your electronic relay have the additional pin and could it be opened up and altered with a jumper so it has two output pins?

Ron
    My standard relays don't have the center pin. I guess I could make a Lambda relay (plug and play) but not sure I could sell enough of them to break even.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

My standard relays don't have the center pin. I guess I could make a Lambda relay (plug and play) but not sure I could sell enough of them to break even.
    I would definitely line up for a specific plug-and-play solid state Lambda relay. Given how hot the OEM one gets, there is a very real benefit to a no-modification upgrade product. Maybe the idea just needs promotion?
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    4665

I'll take one as well. How many would it take to get a plug-n-play version produced?

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I'm interested.

I'd buy one.

My VIN:    Midproduction

I'd buy a solid state Lambda relay from you if available!

My VIN:    03572

My cost is about $500 to get 100 blank circuit boards. I may do an order when I get time.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

My cost is about $500 to get 100 blank circuit boards. I may do an order when I get time.
    Cool! In the meantime, I'll defer the wiring modification.

If you make them, perhaps you could paint the case silver or gray like the original and to differentiate it from the other relays (since it has a different pin setup). .... Just an idea.

And, if you make them, I'll take one right away.

Thanks for all the work you do to make our cars even better. As I said multiple times on the weekend to people inquiring about choosing one as a classic car....with the variety of part choices, it is an exciting time to own a Delorean.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast