FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Does the Lambda relay always get hot?

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    No. The heat is caused by the coil current in that relay. The standard relays use less current. I will look if I still have the OEM lambda relay and measure it.

Edit:
    I found the OEM lambda relay. Tested and not as bad as I thought. I guess the smaller case makes it get hotter.
    61 ohms = 221 ma at 13.5 volts = 2.98 watts

Standard relay
    86 ohms = 157 ma at 13.5 volts = 2.11 watts
    Just finished painting the first 10 lambda relays. I tested with a 4 amp load (I tested lambda current a bout 2 amps) so power (heat produced) is 0.10 watts. So basically my lambda relay will run at ambient temperature. This is plug and play but only to be used for the lambda relay socket (yellow socket). I'm pricing the lambda relay at $69 shipped to US locations.

Now the relays always on, RPM, lambda and AUX relays are the ones producing the most heat in the relay compartment. I run my standard solid state relays for the AUX relays but they do no have the large power and ground pins.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 04-20-2019 at 08:38 AM.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Just finished painting the first 10 lambda relays. I tested with a 4 amp load (I tested lambda current a bout 2 amps) so power (heat produced) is 0.10 watts. So basically my lambda relay will run at ambient temperature. This is plug and play but only to be used for the lambda relay socket (yellow socket). I'm pricing the lambda relay at $69 shipped to US locations.

Now the relays always on, RPM, lambda and AUX relays are the ones producing the most heat in the relay compartment. I run my standard solid state relays for the AUX relays but they do no have the large power and ground pins.
    Excellent Dave! I'll take one.... funds sent.

From "almost too hot to touch" to ambient temperature is quite an improvement!
    Last edited by DMC-81; 04-20-2019 at 09:41 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    4665

Beat me to it!!!

Payment sent as well.

Thanks, Dave.

I’ll take one Dave. Payment sent.
    Last edited by CFI; 04-20-2019 at 08:48 PM.

My VIN:    Midproduction

Payment sent!

I received my Lambda Relay today. As usual it looks like a quality unit. I'll take before and after temperature measurements on the old and the new relay when I install it. Can't wait!

Thanks very much Dave!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

Installed mine today. Will take the car for a spin tomorrow. Thanks Dave!

Well, I went to a Caffeine and Coffee event on this beautiful morning, and took a measurement of the old Lambda relay. The temperature after driving for an hour in 81 degrees F weather was 57 degrees C, or 134.6 degrees F. Definitely hot, but I have seen it hotter.

I'll change the relay and do the same thing.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 04-27-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    Dana

I changed the relay, and took a measurement.

As Dave mentioned earlier, most cars have a yellow relay holder/socket, but where my car is a fairly early VIN, I have a black socket but with 2 yellow stickers on the front side of it.

New relay installed:

So, the new Lambda relay temperature after driving for an hour in a slightly warmer 85 degrees F, measured 28 degrees C, or 82.4 degrees F. Cool as a cucumber!!

That's another fantastic product! Thanks again Dave!
    Dana

My VIN:    4665

Installed my new lambda relay. Couldn't have been easier. Love the plug-n-play feature which really made it all worth it for me.

Thanks Dave.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast