FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Glove box won't shut. Whats wrong?

My VIN:    754

Glove box won't shut. Whats wrong?

754 had a glove box lid that was raised about an inch above the dashboard when I bought it. So I've been trying to figure out how to adjust the damn bracket to fit the lid but can't get the position right to latch. Do I have to disassemble the knee pad and part of the dash to set this thing right? Any tips guys? PS- I bought a new bracket and a glove box reinforcement plate. It must've given the po some issues since the light and switch was also disconnected.

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by gamerguy51 View Post
    754 had a glove box lid that was raised about an inch above the dashboard when I bought it. So I've been trying to figure out how to adjust the damn bracket to fit the lid but can't get the position right to latch. Do I have to disassemble the knee pad and part of the dash to set this thing right? Any tips guys? PS- I bought a new bracket and a glove box reinforcement plate. It must've given the po some issues since the light and switch was also disconnected.
    The only real adjustment areas are the eight screws that attach the door to the hinges and then there's a little screw that adjusts the plastic part that the door itself latches to. It's tough to see it if you're not looking at it. You can adjust that one screw to make sure the latch on the door fits in there properly. It takes a little finagling to get it right but just mess around with those areas. It'll go in!

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    05141

Indeed that is how you can make it fit nicely.
    It takes some patience to do it right, and make sure it lifts and closes nicely before you decide it is done
    But when it does not lock anymore, you need to look at the plastic bracket inside the glovebox, and the best thing is to remove the kneepad, which is no big deal unless you got a bad back.

Jan

Steering with power

Quote Originally Posted by john 05141 View Post
    Indeed that is how you can make it fit nicely.
    It takes some patience to do it right, and make sure it lifts and closes nicely before you decide it is done
    But when it does not lock anymore, you need to look at the plastic bracket inside the glovebox, and the best thing is to remove the kneepad, which is no big deal unless you got a bad back.

Jan
    So just tighten the main bracket, then adjust the lid screws until it catches? Thanks for the tips.

Well, it turns out that sometime in the distant past, the windshield was replaced and some dummy reassembled the latch improperly. There were an extra set of bolts that threw off the alignment. I had to disassemble the PS kneepad for the reinforcement plate anyways so I went ahead and put the puzzle together so to speak. Here's a picture!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

My VIN:    00778 and Formerly 06770.

Bought a new insert from DMCH. Really frustrating with the quality of this part. Might have to search for a used one or perhaps a flocking kit.
    Last edited by GS450-Junkie; 08-16-2014 at 11:55 PM.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

IMG_0300.jpg IMG_0306.jpg Left hinge The spring end fits into a hole in the lid next to the hinge

IMG_0304.jpg Righe hinge The spring end fits through the hinge into the pocket between the lower hinge plate and the glovebox insert. It's a bit of pain to get the screws started because your fighting the spring tension.For an exploded view of the assembly look it up in the delorean.com parts store for a better idea.

http://store.delorean.com/c-316-8-7-...rdconsole.aspx It's not as much help as I thought
    Attached Images
    Last edited by DMC5180; 08-17-2014 at 12:10 AM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by GS450-Junkie View Post
    Bought a new insert from DMCH. Really frustrating with the quality of this part. Might have to search for a used one or perhaps a flocking kit.

I know what you mean, I bought a reproduction part 10 years ago. I was disappointed in the very thin flocking. But it beats the very fragile aqua blue plastic one. Mine had couple chunks broken on the flange. It's the same plastic as the instrument cluster housing, it's very brittle.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.