FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: opinion wanted

My VIN:    10985

opinion wanted

Hi Guys,

Please excuse me if this isn't the correct place for this post, but I wanted some opinions.

There is a DeLorean that has been for sale for a while, so I asked the owner about it.

The car looks immaculate, and is in Holland. The owner has said he can't afford to re-insure it so it has to go.

The weird thing that I don't like though, is he said he will take $13,000USD for it, and even ship it to New Zealand for that price.. (shipping from USA is around $8,000USD, not sure about Holland)...

It gets even weirder that he has said he will ship to me, then only if I like it I pay for it, if I don't like it He'll get it returned at his own expense.

The catch is, he won't let me use my own shipping company, or ESCROW as he says he has been burnt by that in the past, he'll only ship using a company he chooses..

Does this sound really strange? that someone who can't afford the insurance is happy to waste money shipping a car to and from NZ, or am I just being really paranoid?

I guess the paranoid thing I have is that I'll get the car, pay for it... then it get reposessed?

--Pete

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Seems dodgy to me; you know the saying... if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

"Sometimes there is only one choice to make and you thank God when it is so clear."
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    "Sometimes there is only one choice to make and you thank God when it is so clear."
    He can't afford to insure it but he will ship it at his own expense and sell it below market value. Does anything about this deal make sense? Let's see how this works. You send him cash. Now what happens? My bet is the car is never shipped anywhere so of course he will say he will have it shipped back at his own expense. That is the "hook" to get you to send the money. You are right in trying to have the money held by a third party until you are satisfied. The only safe way is to go get the car, pay cash and then have it shipped yourself. If he is that willing to pay to have it shipped back he should deduct the cost of shipping 1 way from the purchase price. Tell him that and see what happens. My bet is he will find some stupid reason you can't come and buy the car and then have it shipped. No way can you let a seller have your money AND the car.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3028

I heard this many times, it is obviously fraudulent. I think you know that. So just walk away.
    Barry

My VIN:    10985

The thing he is saying though is he will ship the car first, then I pay if I am happy with it after it has arrived...

I agree though, something just isn't adding up with this car, the car is for sale on a lot of different sites:
    http://www.adpost.com/us/vehicles/1021964/

http://car.mitula.us/offer-detalle/4...explosion?cc=1

I've asked for a scan of the title, his Drives License and the VIN number

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    He can't afford to insure it but he will ship it at his own expense and sell it below market value. Does anything about this deal make sense? Let's see how this works. You send him cash. Now what happens? My bet is the car is never shipped anywhere so of course he will say he will have it shipped back at his own expense. That is the "hook" to get you to send the money. You are right in trying to have the money held by a third party until you are satisfied. The only safe way is to go get the car, pay cash and then have it shipped yourself. If he is that willing to pay to have it shipped back he should deduct the cost of shipping 1 way from the purchase price. Tell him that and see what happens. My bet is he will find some stupid reason you can't come and buy the car and then have it shipped. No way can you let a seller have your money AND the car.

My VIN:    4534

Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

typical scam, this shit shows up every few weeks.

My VIN:    01955

Alarm bells all over this. I bet payment will be through Western Union.

Research through the European Delorean owners and see if they know of this car. There aren't many over there.

Google search the pics you sent you. You may end up finding them belonging to another D. If so, you know he's FOS.

I know you're busting to get one, but think clearly with your head, not with your heart.

My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

SCAM, but you can play with him! Point out DeLorean.eu is in Holland and would like to come and check it out, the list of excuses will be endless, heck we even had someone try it on Ebay UK this weekend.

Chris
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast