FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Help- Car broke down today. - Auto Transmission problem?

My VIN:    3937

You've touched on a couple things that aren't flaws or reasons to rebuild a transmission of shift computer.

Shifting at low RPMs while driving like a Grandma (I know what you mean by this, I drive the same way most of the time), you will likely be in 3rd gear before you get to 35 mph. If you hammer the gas off a light or are on it pretty aggressively, it will stay in gear longer. Driving easy makes them shift sooner. Being in 3rd by 2,200 RPM is not unusual by itself. If I'm out cruising, I'll be humming along at 55 mph and the RPMs will be 2,600 or so. And it will have gotten to 3rd long before that speed.

You didn't mention the kickdown microswitch at all. It likely isn't factoring into any of this, but if you hammer the gas and engage that extra microswitch, it will keep the car in the lower gear longer to give you some extra power. That's more or less the opposite of what you're mentioning though. You can test it pretty easily on an open stretch of road and put the pedal to the floor when you know you've already gotten to 3rd and you should feel the car shift back down to 2nd while you're gunning it.

Depending on what throttle adjustments you made prior, your sticking high idle/high RPM could be a few different things. Snapping the gas to get it to come back down might be telling you it is sticking mechanically. The throttle cable or spool that is. Your cable could be getting pinched in its sheath as it travels under the passenger side of the air filter housing. You can see easily if you remove the housing and notice if one of the clips is pinching or the sheath got worn/fretted away and the cable under it is rusted.

The other sticking high idle culprits can be a throttle spool spring that's not lubed well likewise with the spring on the butterfly valves lever arm. You might be a tiny bit out of adjustment with your idle microswitch settings (on the threaded posts which engage that switch), but that's not that prone to be solved with snapping the gas because your problem sounds like it is hanging up and needs an extra push to get it to go back to rest. Inside that throttle body are what they call decal springs and some have seen those get old and weak and not return the assembly to it's idle position.

Search on here for high idle threads to read more. We tried to start a useful technical photos thread and one of the ones in there is where the far end of the throttle cable is at full throttle or idle underneath on the shift computer. You could be out of adjustment there too for some of the problems you're seeing. It seems like your problems are no longer ATF level related or whatever after the drain and refills you've done.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Ryan, I'm thrilled to hear that the car is moving again... I really hope you've got this nailed down!
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

Jonathan, Thanks for your explanations. That helps me understand my issues better.

Jon, My wife is also thrilled that we don't have to spend $$$$ and finally freeing up a garage space for her car. I hope this is it. Drove it this morning to work and no issues.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Yes, great to hear you've got the transmission back in good shape again, Ryan.

About the intermittent high idle and following along the path already mentioned a few posts back a high-idle is pretty easy to diagnose on a D, at least at a high level.

If you can get it to replicate then look for the throttle linkage ball joint beneath the throttle spool. It's set up like the gas struts on the door. Flip and remove the retainer pin, then pop the throttle link off of the bottom of the spool. Run the engine up by hand using only that link then slowly let it go to its rest position. If you can get a high idle even once in a few tries then the problem is between the link and the butterflies. If not then it is someplace between the accelerator pedal and the bottom of the spool/quadrant.

Work in whichever direction the test points to.

Be sure to look after it, esp. if it is severe or frequent. With an automatic it'll be kind of beating on the drivetrain til it's fixed. Less of an issue that way with a 5-speed.

Guaranteed easier to fix than your tranny was! Best luck.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Typical symptom of:

sticking throttle cable
    sticking throttle spool
    worn quadrant link ends

Make sure when you release the gas pedal the throttle arm is setting the idle micro. Lubricate the throttle cable as per the recall. Disassemble, clean, grease and reassemble the throttle spool. Lengthen the quadrant link (it has left hand and right hand threaded ends)(they also have tiny lock springs like the struts). You may also have to adjust the 2 screws on the throttle arm. One is a stop and the other hits the idle micro. I would also do ALL of the external, On-Car adjustments for the transmission including the throttle cable and checking the final drive level.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

Rich and David
    Thanks for your suggestions. I think I fixed it yesterday but I will go through everything this weekend to make sure.
    Thanks

My VIN:    3937

You're welcome, Ryan.

And good for you for putting the effort into figuring it out... without just throwing money at it. Sounds like a pretty good excuse for you and your wife to go do something fun on the weekend to celebrate.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4