FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: DCS 2016 - why not closer to the West Coast this time?

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    Date side note. Having the show on Father's Day weekend, every two years, has also limited the show, to a certain extent.

With the Corvette Show double-booked mix-up with DCS 2006, the show could have been moved to a weekend earlier or weekend later
    and we would have had the whole resort to ourselves (a bit over-simplified), but Ken wanted to keep the show on the same weekend.

There was also a brand new resort nearby that was opening in July 2006 that could have been a great alternate and DCS 2006 would
    have been the very first event using the hotel and all the convention space, but again, but Ken wanted to keep DCS on Father's Day.

I know how difficult it is to try to get my brother away from my sister-in-law, to help me transport my vehicles to the DCS events on
    Father's Day weekend, so if the date changes each show or it is at least the fourth weekend of June, I am sure more folks will attend.

As another "date" side note, keeping the first few weeks of June "open" will help avoid conflicts with most family's kid's graduations.

I only make reference to these DCS 2006 "options" since there was a few comments near the end of DCS 2014 that referred to DCS 2006 as a disaster
    as far as some "outcomes" were concerned. Believe me, when the double-booked fiasco came to light, there was a lot of "leg work" done for options.

Attaching a few photos taken of the new resort under construction in August of 2005. The resort made their deadline and opened on July 1, 2006.

new-site-hotel-main-drive.jpg

new-site-convention-center.jpg

new-site-east-arch.jpg

new-site-west-arch.jpg

http://www.schaumburgconventioncenter.com/

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-center-hotel/

This would be my vote for DCS 2018.

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    Note: Located only 30 minutes away from DMC MW.

My VIN:    Time Will Tell...

Club(s):   (DCF)

DCS 2016 - why not closer to the West Coast this time?

What was 2012 like in terms of attendance? Did being in Orlando with family-oriented attractions help attendance? Or did being so far south hurt attendance?

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    What was 2012 like in terms of attendance? Did being in Orlando with family-oriented attractions help attendance? Or did being so far south hurt attendance?
    The location did have a major impact on the car count.

Attendance was OK, but not one of the top DCS events. Car Count was way down (lowest DCS car count) with less than 50 documented cars,
    although there may have been a few more non-judged cars that were not documented. Only 10-12 cars from FL, lowest of any DCS host state.

Family friendly location meant that most folks either drove the family car, with their family, or they flew in and got a rental car.

My VIN:    5482

Hey I'd love to have a DCS here in Dallas-Fort Worth but only for selfish reasons. If DeLorean owners are relatively evenly spread across North America, seems like mid-western United States makes the most sense for DeLorean turnout. I have no idea if this is the case or not.

Weather probably factors in too a bit. You probably wouldn't want to have one in Dallas in August for instance. Likewise, you wouldn't want to have it in January in Michigan.

I'm good with Indianapolis for 2016.
    Jeff

My VIN:    Time Will Tell...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Bummer Orlando didn't work out that well. It's the only DCS I've been to as its right in my back yard. I'm hoping to make it to Indianapolis in 2016...God willing, with a DeLorean.

I'd like to see a future DCS in Charlotte, the car culture there is pretty active.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

I find all the complaints about distance in relation to event locations to be interesting, as being a car person, I actually enjoy driving my car - in fact, as the old adage goes, getting there and back is practically half the fun.

And, as I mentioned during the awards presentations on Saturday night at DCS, despite having the original belts, original coolant hoses, original NCTs, original plastic header bottle, original relays, original plastic tanked radiator, original Ducey alternator, etc. on my car, I'd have no reservations about driving it cross country and back tomorrow, or its ability to do so without incident.

So what's the deal here guys? Why is it that so many DeLorean owners (most with significantly upgraded cars compared to mine) are so reluctant to actually drive their cars to events???

Personally, I don't get it....

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    I find all the complaints about distance in relation to event locations to be interesting, as being a car person, I actually enjoy driving my car - in fact, as the old adage goes, getting there and back is practically half the fun.

And, as I mentioned during the awards presentations on Saturday night at DCS, despite having the original belts, original coolant hoses, original NCTs, original plastic header bottle, original relays, original plastic tanked radiator, original Ducey alternator, etc. on my car, I'd have no reservations about driving it cross country and back tomorrow, or its ability to do so without incident.

So what's the deal here guys? Why is it that so many DeLorean owners (most with significantly upgraded cars compared to mine) are so reluctant to actually drive their cars to events???

Personally, I don't get it....
    Hey Josh! It was great meeting you at DCS! And thanks again for all of your help along the way here on the boards.

Yes, I myself was hoping for a show closer to the West Coast but obviously that's not going to happen for 2016. Regardless, I'll most definitely be there for Indy. It's just a question of if my car will be. It'll be about 3600 miles round trip and time will be an issue, not so much the miles. I think doing something on the West Coast would be cool, particularly if we can get Universal's Backlot rented out for a private party (which they do for private companies pretty regularly). We could have something set up at Courthouse Square, have live music, set up some cars for tech sessions, etc. There's a Hilton right across form Universal, too. Lots of possibilities but logistically for the planners, that could prove to be a problem.

At any rate, I'd just want a good turnout wherever the location may be.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I don't understand it either. Ultimately, an owner can trust the car or not trust the car. Upgraded or original. Stuff breaks. I've read/heard of a couple fuel issues and clutch issues that happened on the way back home for some folk from DCS. At least they tried, right? I've never trailered my car to any DCS or other delorean meet, always driven. I've always wanted to drive it across country. A large turnout like Dayton, and I would make the trip and drive out West.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    Hey Josh! It was great meeting you at DCS! And thanks again for all of your help along the way here on the boards.

Yes, I myself was hoping for a show closer to the West Coast but obviously that's not going to happen for 2016. Regardless, I'll most definitely be there for Indy. It's just a question of if my car will be. It'll be about 3600 miles round trip and time will be an issue, not so much the miles. I think doing something on the West Coast would be cool, particularly if we can get Universal's Backlot rented out for a private party (which they do for private companies pretty regularly). We could have something set up at Courthouse Square, have live music, set up some cars for tech sessions, etc. There's a Hilton right across form Universal, too. Lots of possibilities but logistically for the planners, that could prove to be a problem.

At any rate, I'd just want a good turnout wherever the location may be.
    Alex, the pleasure was truly mine - and thank you again for your truly AWESOME blog, which is indeed second to none!

I'd definitely be game for a west coast trip - in fact, I'd be looking forward to it and you could bank on me being there.

From what I see in your post, it looks like there's a planner/organizer within you

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast