FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DCS 2016 - why not closer to the West Coast this time?

Club(s):   (PNDC)

DCS 2016 - why not closer to the West Coast this time?

Hi all,

I am relativeley new to this forum (and DeLorean ownership, getting 3922 on 30 Dec 2013, just to be able to sit in it on New Years Eve ) and I love the community and especially all the people posting in here. I followed the picture thread of DCS 2014 and saw so may cars and people I only know from the forum adn Youtube videos. I would have loved to be there with my DeLorean and meet you all but it was just too far (36 hours of constant driving according to Google Maps) and not enough vacation left this year.

I now see that the next DCS will be in Indianapolis. Nice city for a car show, indeed. But I would wish that it would be closer to the West Coast one day. We have a lively DeLorean scene and gang on the West Coast from California to Washington and I would wish that we will one day get the opportunity to have a DCS close by as well. It could be in any state closer to the West Coast (California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington (ok, maybe too far North)). I guess DMC California and DMC NW would love to assist. Am I alone out there with this view?

So I open the floor for discussions. What does the crowd think of a DCS closer to the West Coast?
    Why is there a preference to the East Coast (I do not want to spark a classic East<>West Coast discussion, just about the DCS location)?

As I said: I am new to the forum and there might be a good reason to leave DCS on the East Coast, which so far eludes me. And there might have been a discussion around it in the past.

Thank you in advance for your input!
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The short answer is, it's logistics and the learning curve.

Ken K. did his first DeLorean Car Show in Cincinnati (technically pre-DCS) near his home in Mason, Ohio.

The new guys at the helm for 2016 will be doing the same, with their first show closer to home. Easier, logistically.

DCS West 2009 was held in Vegas, in September, with mixed reviews for timing, attendance from the West Coast, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by vps3922 View Post
    Hi all,

I am relativeley new to this forum (and DeLorean ownership, getting 3922 on 30 Dec 2013, just to be able to sit in it on New Years Eve ) and I love the community and especially all the people posting in here. I followed the picture thread of DCS 2014 and saw so may cars and people I only know from the forum adn Youtube videos. I would have loved to be there with my DeLorean and meet you all but it was just too far (36 hours of constant driving according to Google Maps) and not enough vacation left this year.

I now see that the next DCS will be in Indianapolis. Nice city for a car show, indeed. But I would wish that it would be closer to the West Coast one day. We have a lively DeLorean scene and gang on the West Coast from California to Washington and I would wish that we will one day get the opportunity to have a DCS close by as well. It could be in any state closer to the West Coast (California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington (ok, maybe too far North)). I guess DMC California and DMC NW would love to assist. Am I alone out there with this view?

So I open the floor for discussions. What does the crowd think of a DCS closer to the West Coast?
    Why is there a preference to the East Coast (I do not want to spark a classic East<>West Coast discussion, just about the DCS location)?

As I said: I am new to the forum and there might be a good reason to leave DCS on the East Coast, which so far eludes me. And there might have been a discussion around it in the past.

Thank you in advance for your input!

My VIN:    6585

I'm probably going to start a fight or two here, but I'll go ahead and throw my 2ยข anyways...

Car shows on the west coast generally just don't do as well for DeLoreans. DCS did Vegas in 2009, and before that the last DeLorean show by the DOA was in Vegas in 2000 which didn't work out very well at all from what I heard. And that's been about it for anything marque-specific. Most car shows are simply attended by clubs in groups.

Part of the lower west coast attendance though I honestly believe is because with the exception of the Northwest and Arizona, most DeLoreans east of the rockies seem to be in better running condition and are much more likely to make the trek to any sort of show that is a good distance away. Western DeLorean owners just don't seem to take as good of care of their cars, and generally don't seem as involved with the culture and community. I have theories as to why this is, but the fact remains that not many out west seem to really take interest. Just look at locations of posters and car clubs on here alone.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    The short answer is, it's logistics and the learning curve.

Ken K. did his first DeLorean Car Show in Cincinnati (technically pre-DCS) near his home in Mason, Ohio.

The new guys at the helm for 2016 will be doing the same, with their first show closer to home. Easier, logistically.

DCS West 2009 was held in Vegas, in September, with mixed reviews for timing, attendance from the West Coast, etc.
    Hmm, so does this mean that the West Coast crowd is not as active as I think? Low attendance is not a good sign. I therefore understand that the attendance was always bigger if the place was closer to the East Coast than West Coast?

Very sad. I hope that we can change that maybe for DCS 2018 (OMG, this is far away!).
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Part of the lower west coast attendance though I honestly believe is because with the exception of the Northwest and Arizona, most DeLoreans east of the rockies seem to be in better running condition and are much more likely to make the trek to any sort of show that is a good distance away. Western DeLorean owners just don't seem to take as good of care of their cars, and generally don't seem as involved with the culture and community. I have theories as to why this is, but the fact remains that not many out west seem to really take interest. Just look at locations of posters and car clubs on here alone.
    Hmm, I only met a great crowd at the Pacific Northwest Delorean Club and the few Vancouver Lower Mainland People and they are taking excellent care of their cars. But I also heard that there are a few DeLorean owners right around Vancouver, BC that do not join into clubs and groups. As I said, I am a very young member of the DeLorean owner group and do not have a lot of experience with past events as most of the people on this forum. It just crossed my mind and I thought that I should open it up for discussion.

Thank you for your input!
    - Volker Seidel -

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Ill say this, we in the Norcal group are very active and our cars are awesome,usually...

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Quote Originally Posted by vps3922 View Post
    Hmm, so does this mean that the West Coast crowd is not as active as I think? Low attendance is not a good sign. I therefore understand that the attendance was always bigger if the place was closer to the East Coast than West Coast?

Very sad. I hope that we can change that maybe for DCS 2018 (OMG, this is far away!).
    Maybe a bit further Northwest might yield better results. I know the Northern California group and the Pacific Northwest group are both active,
    so maybe someone like Ken M. could be convinced to organize another DCS West event, in either 2017 or 2019. (maybe?)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    Maybe a bit further Northwest might yield better results. I know the Northern California group and the Pacific Northwest group are both active,
    so maybe someone like Ken M. could be convinced to organize another DCS West event, in either 2017 or 2019. (maybe?)
    Great idea!
    - Volker Seidel -

My VIN:    16893

Having done a lot of traveling when I played in a band as a professional musician I'll throw my theory out there. The west coast's population is VERY spread out over a large geographical area. This means something like DCS would have to pull people in from a 1000+ miles to get very many participants. On the East Coast the population is much more dense, and so it's easier to pull in a larger group of Delorean owners from within 500 miles. With that said, I'd really like to see one farther east, and more in the middle (i.e. not so far north).

Quote Originally Posted by RammJaeger View Post
    Having done a lot of traveling when I played in a band as a professional musician I'll throw my theory out there. The west coast's population is VERY spread out over a large geographical area. This means something like DCS would have to pull people in from a 1000+ miles to get very many participants. On the East Coast the population is much more dense, and so it's easier to pull in a larger group of Delorean owners from within 500 miles. With that said, I'd really like to see one farther east, and more in the middle (i.e. not so far north).
    Actually, I think Ken K. did take out a map of the US and looked at both a 300 mile radius and a 500 mile radius of the DCS event location,
    to estimate how many people would likely attend each show. Of course, having numbers from previous shows helped to plan later shows.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast