FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: DCS 2016 - why not closer to the West Coast this time?

My VIN:    07000

I think there's a good number of folks on the west coast/Pacific Northwest who take great care of their D's.
    As far as location, Vegas makes no sense unless it was mid- November when it's semi-bearable heat-wise. DeLoreans in the hot sun are like ovens, so the desert and heat of Las Vegas loses me.

If we had a west coast show that's central, the best spot would be something like Monterey (where they have lots of car shows) or Pismo Beach. Those are both pretty reasonable drives for both Washington state and SoCal owners. And lovely vacation spots to boot.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    Maybe a bit further Northwest might yield better results. I know the Northern California group and the Pacific Northwest group are both active,
    so maybe someone like Ken M. could be convinced to organize another DCS West event, in either 2017 or 2019. (maybe?)
    That would likely be the only way to have a West Coast Show. A good concentration of dedicated owners, plus even more from Canada that could attend.

Quote Originally Posted by RammJaeger View Post
    Having done a lot of traveling when I played in a band as a professional musician I'll throw my theory out there. The west coast's population is VERY spread out over a large geographical area. This means something like DCS would have to pull people in from a 1000+ miles to get very many participants. On the East Coast the population is much more dense, and so it's easier to pull in a larger group of Delorean owners from within 500 miles. With that said, I'd really like to see one farther east, and more in the middle (i.e. not so far north).
    The population may be spread out, but the concentration of DeLorean owners is not. Sure, there are handfuls in the major cities with the odd stragglers here are there, and Phoenix has a good collection. But the largest concentration in the world is down in Southern California where the original sales of the cars was the highest globally. They have more cars south of the San Joaquin valley than some states or even countries. But it is also pretty much the most apathetic group too. Vegas was a good meeting place for all the mountain states and the southwest, and they just didn't show up. Even as far back as the 1980's they'd all complain about noisy fuel pumps as soon as they hit the desert. And yes while California's laws are not friendly to old cars, take a look and see where most of the parted-out cars come from. You give a basket case car to a guy from Los Angeles, and he'll part it out on eBay first chance he gets. Give it to someone from Bakersfield or somewhere else in the country, and they'll spend the next 2 years restoring it instead.

Really though the thing is that years ago after the DOA dissolved the regional chapters, the outlying owners were pretty much left on their own to fend for themselves. As a result they became damn resilient and self-reliant while building up a hardcore group of devoted owners. In turn over the years they instilled the same positive can-do attitudes and enthusiasm into the next generations that came along. Southern California people though had a different attitude about the car wanting it to become more of a prestigious car, which it could never be as they wanted it. And with the close service centers they just dropped cars off instead of working on them themselves to become more familiar with them. Granted too the DOA's controversies over the years didn't help at all and really just furthered the keeping of owners in the dark. In the end the result is just that everywhere else DeLorean owners are more devoted and as a result take better care of their cars and attend more shows.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    I think there's a good number of folks on the west coast/Pacific Northwest who take great care of their D's.
    As far as location, Vegas makes no sense unless it was mid- November when it's semi-bearable heat-wise. DeLoreans in the hot sun are like ovens, so the desert and heat of Las Vegas loses me.

If we had a west coast show that's central, the best spot would be something like Monterey (where they have lots of car shows) or Pismo Beach. Those are both pretty reasonable drives for both Washington state and SoCal owners. And lovely vacation spots to boot.
    Oh, I love Monterey. Have been there in 2001 and I would definitely consider drivng there from Vancouver, BC.
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

west coast shows

After driving for three and a half days to DCS and 4400 miles a west coast show has appeal.

Paul Cerny #2691
    Kalispell, MT

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    Ill say this, we in the Norcal group are very active and our cars are awesome,usually...

It also doesn't hurt to have your expertise to help keep our cars roadworthy!
    David Proehl

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Isn't there two big delorean shows in Vegas this year...

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Gfrank View Post
    Isn't there two big delorean shows in Vegas this year...
    The following two shows lean a little more toward BTTF, but are still DeLorean events.

Not sure if there are two shows this year, but there is at least one in Vegas in 2014:

http://www.deloreanweekend.com/

As for 2015, there should be at least one DeLorean related event on the West Coast:

http://www.weregoingback.com/Were_Go...sary/Home.html

(website not completely updated yet for the BTTF 30th Anniversary, but they are already planning the events)

My VIN:    06960

Yes, it makes sense that the new guy's first show would be in his own home town. Much easier to plan when your doing it for the first time. Its certainly what I would do at the helm.

That said, having a west-coast DCS in the odd-year has significant drawbacks for me. One, I already can barely afford to attend the even-year events. Adding an additional one in the odd-year puts it out of my budget. That is the reason I missed DCS'09, not the distance (I'll drive my car anywhere in the country for one of these shows).

Now, going forward, I could reasonably see a 2018 show somewhere out west. And I would be very likely to attend. Though you probably can expect lower DeLorean turnout. The Orlando show was on an extreme end of the country and it had so many fewer cars than the other shows. Gotta find a happy medium somewhere. Perhaps going forward every third show on the west coast. Who knows. Thats for Jason to decide now. Good luck.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Date side note. Having the show on Father's Day weekend, every two years, has also limited the show, to a certain extent.

With the Corvette Show double-booked mix-up with DCS 2006, the show could have been moved to a weekend earlier or weekend later
    and we would have had the whole resort to ourselves (a bit over-simplified), but Ken wanted to keep the show on the same weekend.

There was also a brand new resort nearby that was opening in July 2006 that could have been a great alternate and DCS 2006 would
    have been the very first event using the hotel and all the convention space, but again, but Ken wanted to keep DCS on Father's Day.

I know how difficult it is to try to get my brother away from my sister-in-law, to help me transport my vehicles to the DCS events on
    Father's Day weekend, so if the date changes each show or it is at least the fourth weekend of June, I am sure more folks will attend.

As another "date" side note, keeping the first few weeks of June "open" will help avoid conflicts with most family's kid's graduations.

My VIN:    10442

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    The following two shows lean a little more toward BTTF, but are still DeLorean events.

Not sure if there are two shows this year, but there is at least one in Vegas in 2014:

http://www.deloreanweekend.com/
    Thanks for the heads-up; this is the first time I've heard about that one!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast