FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the Lambda relay always get hot?

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Does the Lambda relay always get hot?

My D has been the recipient of a lot of electrical repairs in the past couple of days. Went out driving this morning and decided to stop and have a look around the relay compartment. The lambda relay was noticeably hot, hot to the touch not enough to burn my finger but hot nonetheless. Is this normal function?

(Some background: replaced the alternator last week because the PO installed the last one incorrectly and caused the positive terminal to break. Replaced all of the changeover relays with DMCH's kit. Running a new lamp delay module. The car didn't seem to like the new RPM relay so still using the old one. Also want to give a shout out to DMCMW for their sterling advice which saved me a considerable amount of money
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Is the FV buzzing? I noticed the same on my new project car, but the FV is not buzzing. I haven't dug into that system yet. It got hot within about 20 seconds.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    03572

Yes it is normal for the Lambda relay to get hot. It's just that the coil current is higher than the other relays (except the RPM relay which is even higher). That was the second relay I made solid state because like you, I felt around for hot components.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Yes it is normal for the Lambda relay to get hot. It's just that the coil current is higher than the other relays (except the RPM relay which is even higher). That was the second relay I made solid state because like you, I felt around for hot components.
    Ohhh I see, thank you Mr. Dave. I might buy one of yours then since I'd like to keep the relay compartment as cool as possible.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Is the FV buzzing? I noticed the same on my new project car, but the FV is not buzzing. I haven't dug into that system yet. It got hot within about 20 seconds.
    Yep, FV is buzzing.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    Ohhh I see, thank you Mr. Dave. I might buy one of yours then since I'd like to keep the relay compartment as cool as possible.
    You can move one wire and use the standard relay in the Lambda location. I don't sell a solid state relay built for the stock wiring of the lambda socket.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    3305

Probably this question has been already put around here, but... are there some tips to actually cool down the entire relay compartment?

Maybe some different solution mixed together... replace wooden cover for example?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
    Probably this question has been already put around here, but... are there some tips to actually cool down the entire relay compartment?

Maybe some different solution mixed together... replace wooden cover for example?
    There were a few people that were trying a fan about 7 years ago but I have not heard much about it since.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    There were a few people that were trying a fan about 7 years ago but I have not heard much about it since.
    I am running fans in my relay compartment; I put 2 small size computer fans in the compartment 8-10 years ago just to move the air around and I don't seem to have any heat issues. Prior to this, I had a melted headlight fuse but that could have been from the PO.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Resurrecting this thread to ask questions:

After I installed Bitsyncmaster's fused fan fail unit and the solid state cooling fan relay I went to a car show today and was monitoring the relay compartment throughout the day to make sure everything was good, as I always do after I make a change to the car.

The relays and wires underneath were great, being only warm after running the AC and sitting through Florida's 4-5 minute red lights on this gorgeous 85 degree day:

However I noticed (probably for the first time) that the lambda relay was hot. Like described above, not hot enough to burn my fingers, but hot. This is a 3 year old NOS lambda relay.

On the drive home, I had two thoughts:

1) I wonder if Bitsy makes an improved Lambda relay?

2) I thought of making a second wooden relay cover and replacing most of the inner area with wire mesh and installing 1-3 quiet computer fans in it to optionally use the cover to add more cooling to the relay compartment while driving, especially in the summer months.

I came home and looked here and lo and behold, both topics are discussed in the same thread. Apparently that's normal operation for the original lambda relay. So my questions:

1) Dave, do you still offer the solid state Lambda relay? Does it still require the wiring change?

2) Dan, can you post a picture of the fan solution that you made? Did it help in the temperature area?

I drive my car on most weekends and I'm trying to mitigate/ prevent any future problems.

Thanks,
    Last edited by DMC-81; 02-17-2019 at 05:12 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast