FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tinted glass

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    That looks really sharp. I don't know if I want the windshield tinted. I'll wait and see how the sides come out. I have an appointment in a few days.
    Thanks. The tinting of the windshield helps reduce solar heating which assists the already marginal AC system. 85% is almost clear, but since it has ceramic in it , this provides a heat barrier on that big surface area.

I highly recommend it.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Well I just came back from the tinter. I had very light on the front side glass. Legal, not that it matters. Slightly darker on the rear sides to cover dirt. I think it looks good. I did not get the toll booths done. You can hardly tell from the outside. I had to go all around the car to get a pic that you could see the untainted tool booths. You can only see the far side if you look close.

IMG_0501.jpg

He said he would do the toll booths later for no charge. He also said he has some of the clear ceramic tint to do the windshield if I want.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Thanks. The tinting of the windshield helps reduce solar heating which assists the already marginal AC system. 85% is almost clear, but since it has ceramic in it , this provides a heat barrier on that big surface area.

I highly recommend it.
    I remember someone here a few years ago doing it (maybe you). It was almost clear but they/you said it worked wonders on interior temps(like 20⁰ cooler), but it was not cheap.

I wonder if the cost has crept downward these days?
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I remember someone here a few years ago doing it (maybe you). It was almost clear but they/you said it worked wonders on interior temps(like 20⁰ cooler), but it was not cheap.

The tint guy told me on a standard car ceramic raises the price $100. He charged $180 for a standard car. He stocks lots of the almost clear stuff for commercial vehicals. Aparently, the DOT will harass them if they have dark tint. Not sure if it cost more than ceramic dark tint.

I've got a trip planed today. I'll see how this works. Then I'm almost certain I will do the windshield with the clear stuff so I can compare.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

The tint guy told me on a standard car ceramic raises the price $100. He charged $180 for a standard car. He stocks lots of the almost clear stuff for commercial vehicals. Aparently, the DOT will harass them if they have dark tint. Not sure if it cost more than ceramic dark tint.

I've got a trip planed today. I'll see how this works. Then I'm almost certain I will do the windshield with the clear stuff so I can compare.
    Seems like the price I remember him paying was $1,200 but that was back when it was still considered greatest and latest.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Yes, the tint on the windshield is effectively clear when you are looking through it, and it does make a dramatic difference in the interior temperatures. I think I did mine in 2016 or so, and it was probably $300 or $350 in total for the windshield and the sides.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My VIN:    10332

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Well I just came back from the tinter. I had very light on the front side glass. Legal, not that it matters. Slightly darker on the rear sides to cover dirt. I think it looks good. I did not get the toll booths done. You can hardly tell from the outside. I had to go all around the car to get a pic that you could see the untainted tool booths. You can only see the far side if you look close.

IMG_0501.jpg

He said he would do the toll booths later for no charge. He also said he has some of the clear ceramic tint to do the windshield if I want.
    Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Yes, the tint on the windshield is effectively clear when you are looking through it, and it does make a dramatic difference in the interior temperatures. I think I did mine in 2016 or so, and it was probably $300 or $350 in total for the windshield and the sides.
    I just made an appointment to get the windshield done. I removed the mirror and I'm going to install a differnt one that just has the small "puck" glued to the glass. That way he can do a good job on the tint. I also made brackets for a gps and radar detector so I don't have any suction cups on the glass.

Im courious, have you felt the dash when the sun is shining? I'm hoping the tint will stop the dash from cracking. My dash is good, but that sun is so strong when the car is not in the garage. Is your dash good? Do you have any dash cover?

I just made an appointment to get the windshield done. I removed the mirror and I'm going to install a differnt one that just has the small "puck" glued to the glass. That way he can do a good job on the tint. I also made brackets for a gps and radar detector so I don't have any suction cups on the glass.

Im courious, have you felt the dash when the sun is shining? I'm hoping the tint will stop the dash from cracking. My dash is good, but that sun is so strong when the car is not in the garage. Is your dash good? Do you have any dash cover?
    Cool. Yes, the sun is really hot on the dash. Even with the tint, I use a DashMat dash cover all the time. My binnacle and dash is original and pristine, so I protect it as much as possible. I also got the fold up Cover Craft (UV10118SV) fitted sun visor for when I'm parked in the sun.

I would ask a DMC expert (call one of the DMS locations) for advice on whether a mirror should be glued to the windshield. My understanding is the glass can delaminate or crack. That black patch that the OEM mirror is taped to is part of the glass. My tinter carefully cut around the area leaving a barely noticeable vertical seam in the tint film between the square patch and the top of the windshield.
    Dana

My VIN:    Coming, hopefully!

Looks great. Are there chrome tits??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast