FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ground Location List

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Ground Location List

This is a collection of posts listing ground locations/information.
    If you know of any others, please add them here.
    Please start a new thread (or PM) for questions not related to the list.

"There are two connections to the frame that are especially important.
    1. The battery negative cable is connected to the frame at the RH trailing arm bushing mount. The front M8 bolt fixes the cable to the frame. It must be clean and tight. That point is subject to a lot of suspension movement and the mounting bolts have a way of working loose. Not only can this be dangerous, but it will play hob with the electrics. Check these bolts as often as you check the TRBs themselves-twice a year at least.
    2. The other important ground is in the front, right behind the LF wheel. The M6 bolt that fixes the LH radiator stay also connects to ground an eyelet with a number of ground wires in it. The cool fans, fuel pump, and headlights all ground at this one point, so it carries LOTS of current. It must be clean and solid.
    The relay compartment is furnished a ground by a post that runs through the fiberglass bulkhead in the rear of the cabin-what would be the firewall in another car. A black cable attaches to the frame underneath the header bottle and bolts to the post, which is a piece of M8x1.25 brass stock, behind the coil in the RH front of the engine bay. This connection can become loose and really confuse a troubleshooter. As if that weren’t enough, the [+] buss is right next to it and it’s easy to encounter one with your wrench when you’re working on the other. If the battery is connected, you will know immediately when this happens. This is true from either side of the buss. Ask me how I know this.
    The grounds up front go through the big connector above the washer reservoir. The current loads are so high, especially when the fans are on, that the ground positions on this connector can be melted. If there is a problem with the grounds up front, and cleaning the connection to the frame doesn’t fix it, suspect this plug. It’s so hard to get to and so tedious to work on, that going here should be a last resort."
    There's one near the radiator.
    There's a pair behind the rear parcel shelf wall.
    There's one near the starter.
    There is one ground point on the left top of the intake manifold drivers side, several black wire cluster.

UPDATES/ADDITIONS [080913]:

GroundBus&Pics.jpg

GroundBusOverviewNumbered.jpg

More Info HERE
    Last edited by Ron; 08-19-2011 at 01:53 AM.

My VIN:    16245

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    This is a collection of posts listing ground locations/information.
    If you know of any others, please add them here.
    Please start a new thread (or PM) for questions not related to the list.

"There are two connections to the frame that are especially important.
    1. The battery negative cable is connected to the frame at the RH trailing arm bushing mount. The front M8 bolt fixes the cable to the frame. It must be clean and tight. That point is subject to a lot of suspension movement and the mounting bolts have a way of working loose. Not only can this be dangerous, but it will play hob with the electrics. Check these bolts as often as you check the TRBs themselves-twice a year at least.
    2. The other important ground is in the front, right behind the LF wheel. The M6 bolt that fixes the LH radiator stay also connects to ground an eyelet with a number of ground wires in it. The cool fans, fuel pump, and headlights all ground at this one point, so it carries LOTS of current. It must be clean and solid.
    The relay compartment is furnished a ground by a post that runs through the fiberglass bulkhead in the rear of the cabin-what would be the firewall in another car. A black cable attaches to the frame underneath the header bottle and bolts to the post, which is a piece of M8x1.25 brass stock, behind the coil in the RH front of the engine bay. This connection can become loose and really confuse a troubleshooter. As if that weren’t enough, the [+] buss is right next to it and it’s easy to encounter one with your wrench when you’re working on the other. If the battery is connected, you will know immediately when this happens. This is true from either side of the buss. Ask me how I know this.
    The grounds up front go through the big connector above the washer reservoir. The current loads are so high, especially when the fans are on, that the ground positions on this connector can be melted. If there is a problem with the grounds up front, and cleaning the connection to the frame doesn’t fix it, suspect this plug. It’s so hard to get to and so tedious to work on, that going here should be a last resort."
    There's one near the radiator.
    There's a pair behind the rear parcel shelf wall.
    There's one near the starter.
    There is one ground point on the left top of the intake manifold drivers side, several black wire cluster.
    Excellent - thanks! I was going to make a post asking if anyone had this information..

If we could start adding pictures for each ground point too it would be great!
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

My VIN:    16245

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    If we could start adding pictures for each ground point too it would be great!
    Yes, photos would be a great idea!

My VIN:    3937

Is there a ground in behind the radio or centre console? Such as when people are discussing the ground wires from the speakers and radio?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Banned

There are only two places where the car body itself is grounded to the frame: the left radiator bracket and the bulkhead bolt by the coil. Every single electrical device inside the passenger compartment or under the hood (including the headlights) is grounded through one of these two locations.

Most of the engine compartment is grounded through the braided strap on the right motor mount, but not all of it (the engine compartment light is grounded through the bulkhead bolt). Tail light assemblies and and license plate lights are also grounded through the bulkhead bolt.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    2543

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Is there a ground in behind the radio or centre console? Such as when people are discussing the ground wires from the speakers and radio?
    Circled in red. At least where my grounds were for the radio and stuff.

IMG_1292.jpg
    Ben B. | VIN 2543 | 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by BigBenb84 View Post
    Circled in red. At least where my grounds were for the radio and stuff.

IMG_1292.jpg
    IMG_1750.jpgIMG_1752.jpg

Hmmmm, very interesting. You can see in my pictures that I have nothing on this threaded post. I had my console apart over this past winter and I believe the only things screwed into that spot is the bracket that holds part of the console in place. Do you think there might be a secondary place the grounds go to? Or maybe my grounding wires are just buried unattached somewhere under there?

I only just this year started using my stereo a lot. I used to just stick to listening to strange noises from the car and strange noises from guys on the street (DeLorean!!). Now that I'm playing music alot, I've noticed the speakers are a POS. Now if that is a grounding issue it could explain all the crackling I hear over the music...

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    There are only two places where the car body itself is grounded to the frame: the left radiator bracket and the bulkhead bolt by the coil.
    Subsequent research has revealed that almost the entire car, except for the engine and a some K-Jet devices (not the pump or ECU's), is grounded through the bulkhead bolt. There are only five devices grounded through the radiator bracket:
    - Trunk light
    - Windshield washer pump
    - Radiator fans (2)
    - Fuel tank sender
    If the fans weren't so important, the radiator bracket would be a very minor concern.

Note that Dave Delman's bulkhead diagram shows the control pressure regulator grounded through the bulkhead connectors, not the engine block.

Bill Robertson

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Where does the instrument cluster ground to?

--buddy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast