FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to - Update?

My VIN:    4870

How to - Update?

I am getting ready to attempt this tomorrow and it seems to easy. Is this still the best way to check injectors? When jumping the RPM relay, will the jars fill with gas quickly or will it be just a slight mist if the injecttors are in good shape? My one concern is my fuel pump has a dedicated ground wire that attaches to the frame, will this effect how the pump will react when jumping at the relay? Wordy I know.. just really hope it as easy as it sounds.
    Last edited by Ron; 08-18-2013 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Moved from How To
    Vin# 4870 - Rebuilt PRV motor - custom seats - fuzzy dash and stock everything else

-Chris

How to - Update?

I am getting ready to test my fuel injector spray pattern tomorrow and wanted to see if there is any new advice on the best way to check these out. I did find the How to, in the how to section but noticed it was a bit dated so figured Id ask to see if anyone else has done this but in a different way with success? Thanks guys
    Vin# 4870 - Rebuilt PRV motor - custom seats - fuzzy dash and stock everything else

-Chris

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

The dedicated ground shouldn't change anything.
    It should take 1 minute to deliver 6oz (each. Plate fully pressed).

See Dave's update/ "corrections" in the How To and post any questions here.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    A couple corrections

3) will take more than a few minutes - the forward injectors on the driver side are a pain

5) no need to turn on the key. The RPM relay jumpered from brown to white/purple will power up immediately

NOTE fuel will not (should not) should flow out of the injectors until you press on the air plate. Wide open should fill 6-ounce jars evenly in about a minute, at other flow rates look for spray pattern and even-ness across the 6 injectors.
    Ok. So just put the injectors in the jars , jump the relay and I have to press on the plate to see the spray. Just jumping the relay I shouldnt see any fuel come out of the injectors, right?
    Last edited by Ron; 08-18-2013 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Moved from How To

-Chris

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by krs09 View Post
    Ok. So just put the injectors in the jars , jump the relay and I have to press on the plate to see the spray. Just jumping the relay I shouldnt see any fuel come out of the injectors, right?
    Correct.

Btw: there various youtube videos that show CIS K-jetronic injection(or) testing. (not Delorean Specific )
    Last edited by Ron; 08-18-2013 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Moved from How To
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Injecotr Experts

I don't know if they have ever been talked about on this forum, but I just sent my injectors over to the "Injector Experts" for a cleaning and assessment.

http://www.injectorexperts.com

Chuck

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Quote Originally Posted by virtualchuck View Post
    I don't know if they have ever been talked about on this forum, but I just sent my injectors over to the "Injector Experts" for a cleaning and assessment.

http://www.injectorexperts.com

Chuck
    Did you check with them first to see if the do mechanical injectors? All the descriptive language on the website implies electronic.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Yes I spoke to them ahead of time. I got their information from a friend that does Corvair restorations. I know you had showed me how to test with the 6 water bottles, I just didn't feel comfortable doing that myself. I did a follow-up with them, and they indicated that there was one faulty injector (I then ordered a new one from you last week) They only charge $10 to test and $15 to clean & test which is quite the deal to me.

Chuck

Ok so I was able to do some test over the weekend and heres what I found.

The Good - The "How to" worked great. I set up all the injectors in glass jars (#4 was a PITA) hook up the jumper and pressed on the plate and "woosh" gas came pouring out. All injectors worked and had varing pressure when pressing on plate.. When pressing all the way down and releasing the injectors did not drip or leak. At full throttle the injectors seem to have a good full spay and after holding for a period of time they looked fairly even in the amount of gas distributed.

The Bad (I think) - After full throttle and letting the plate return to rest position 2 of the glass jars seemed very cloudy where the others looked very clear (not sure what that is about).. At full throttle the spray seemed full but at light pressure (pressing the plate down about 1/4 of the way) the spay was more of a stream and erratic across the board.

I also checked the CPR (thinking this is one of my main problems) after running the test I took the lines off the CPR and the large bolt was wet and had gas running through it and did not look obstructed,although the screen was still in there. When taking the smaller bolt out it was bone dry no fuel was running though at all - now the engine did not run so Im not sure if that is the reaso for that.

Any ideas?? good? bad? .. Thanks

-Chris

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Quote Originally Posted by krs09 View Post
    Ok so I was able to do some test over the weekend and heres what I found.

The Good - The "How to" worked great. I set up all the injectors in glass jars (#4 was a PITA) hook up the jumper and pressed on the plate and "woosh" gas came pouring out. All injectors worked and had varing pressure when pressing on plate.. When pressing all the way down and releasing the injectors did not drip or leak. At full throttle the injectors seem to have a good full spay and after holding for a period of time they looked fairly even in the amount of gas distributed.

The Bad (I think) - After full throttle and letting the plate return to rest position 2 of the glass jars seemed very cloudy where the others looked very clear (not sure what that is about).. At full throttle the spray seemed full but at light pressure (pressing the plate down about 1/4 of the way) the spay was more of a stream and erratic across the board.

I also checked the CPR (thinking this is one of my main problems) after running the test I took the lines off the CPR and the large bolt was wet and had gas running through it and did not look obstructed,although the screen was still in there. When taking the smaller bolt out it was bone dry no fuel was running though at all - now the engine did not run so Im not sure if that is the reaso for that.

Any ideas?? good? bad? .. Thanks
    Normally cloudy = water. Since you have been driving the car that's unlikely. If it is water it will settle into two distinct layers in a few minutes.

There is not normally a lot of fuel flow through the CPR. It just bleeds off tiny amounts of fuel to adjust pressures within the fuel distributor. I don't think that's conclusive.

If you do the flow test at very low flow, long enough to fill the bottles, are they even?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast