FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting cooling fan

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Me? ...It's wired the same as the one I posted.
    J/K!
    =============================

Ron, I think the first one IS ~DMC, remastered color...(How B/G got changed is a mystery ;-)
    It also has the Fan Fail as 112, which is the Fan Relay.

The second one Sean made. (Shows B/O feeding Fan Fail.)
    The one I use did have BO between the cooling fan and the breaker, instead of N/O.

I made notes/corrections where I could.
    I can't verify since my D is getting a stage 2 engine courtesy of its new owner. Dave can for sure.
    I'm still going with two straight pins...on the way to the washer bottle
    I'm pretty sure my car had black/orange on my removed fan circuit breaker. I have found a few locations of differences of wire color on my car so don't be to concerned where yours don't match the schematic colors. The two wires on the fan connectors is the connection of the capacitors. The capacitors are taped to the harness not far from the fan two pin connectors.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I'm pretty sure my car had black/orange on my removed fan circuit breaker.
    same here!
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I'm pretty sure my car had black/orange on my removed fan circuit breaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    same here!
    B/O going in and out of the breaker?

EDIT: NM.
    I did an image search for "fan circuit breaker" and most show N/O to Fan Relay and B/O to the Fan Fail. None with N/S like the WS manual.

Best pics:
    FanBreakerWiring.jpg

socketwireremoval.jpg

OK. I need to know more about this connector at the washer bottle for the cooling fan wiring.

I confirmed that the fan fail socket connector is fine, yet the full voltage is not getting to the black/green at the fan connector. I used a needle probe with my multi-meter to verify this. The needle probe allows you to pierce the insulation and make contact with the conductor. It is a very sharp, very slim needle. It does leave a small puncture but that can be easily sealed. For certain troubleshooting, it is easier than removing and re-crimping new connectors. I connected +12 into the relay fan socket connector for the left fan, found that I had +12 (12.4 volts actually) in the black/green leaving the socket but only had 0.14 volts in the black/green wire just ahead of the fan connector.

Here is a photo of my test connection at the wire leaving the fan fail relay socket:
    PB252319.jpg

Photo of test connection and voltage at the fan connector:
    PB252335.jpgPB252340.jpg

How do you get at this connector at/near the washer bottle? Any pictures, suggestions, how to’s?

Thanks, Ron
    Last edited by DMC-Ron; 11-26-2017 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    How do you get at this connector at/near the washer bottle? Any pictures, suggestions, how to’s?

Thanks, Ron
    I think the best way to get at the connectors is to remove the drivers side headlight bucket. I think there is enough harness to pull the connectors into view that way.
    Dave M vin 03572

I think the best way to get at the connectors is to remove the drivers side headlight bucket. I think there is enough harness to pull the connectors into view that way.
    Dave,
    Here are a couple of pictures from another thread where Johnathan has removed his front fascia. Does the connector I'm looking for show up in these photos?
    Left headlight wiring behind facia.jpg

center wiring behind front facia.jpg

Thanks,
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Dave,
    Here are a couple of pictures from another thread where Johnathan has removed his front fascia. Does the connector I'm looking for show up in these photos?
    Left headlight wiring behind facia.jpg

center wiring behind front facia.jpg

Thanks,
    Ron
    You would need to pull that grommet out. I think the harness has enough wire to pull the connectors through the hole where the grommet is. I seem to remember replacing some pins when I had the bucket removed
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    Midproduction

My Headlight pin connectors at that same harness connector by the washer bucket were heavily corroded a few years ago - same issue: almost no voltage at the bulb connectors. The holes on the bottom sometimes clog up and the bucket fills up with water outside the washer bottle. You can imagine what that'll do to your connectors. IF that's the case, widen the holes with a drill before you reinstall.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I never had to get into that area but maybe the first few pics HERE will help.

Ron, thanks for the photos they are very helpful and at least got me orientated on where this washer bottle tub actually is.

Dave, I think I see what you're saying. With the help of Ron's photos I found a depiction of the harness in the parts manual.

I believe the highlighted connector is the suspect one that I'm hoping access and check:
    Wire Harness parts breakout 1.jpg

And looking at the harness behind the left headlight I see that pulling the headlight harness forward might also pull forward the connector going to the fans (wishful thinking?). But in the sketch it seems like it would require a lot of slack to get the connector to the front where I can work on it.
    Wire Harness parts breakout 2.jpg

Would a better approach be to remove the washer bottle tub and see if I could get access there? I think I can see the actual connector in Ron's photo:
    Harness photo 1.JPG
    Last edited by DMC-Ron; 11-27-2017 at 06:26 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast