FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sharing my Dynamat project

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

And +100 to eliminating the foam smell. Clean it out of the carpets as best you can, but scrape away and replace this section.

Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    16563

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    I did a 100% interior Dynamat project back in 2012 and can definitely agree with what others have said: it didn't make the car quiet, by any means, but the effect of "Stuck a 20 gallon rubbermaid tub over my head and beat it with rubber mallets" was much less afterwards

FWIW, and you may find the same - I had to cut away sections between the seat track mounting posts, as it was just thick enough to interfere with the seat sliding.
    Very cool, I think I suspected going in to it that it wasnt going to make the biggest difference in the world but it almost seems like it would be silly not to at this stage. Even it makes a tiny difference. I also cut out for the seat mounting just in case. Your dynamat job looks great
    1983 Delorean-auto, black/gray int. 38k miles

And +100 to eliminating the foam smell. Clean it out of the carpets as best you can, but scrape away and replace this section.

This was definitely a messy job scrapping away the residue of this section. I laid dynamat and also considering adding on top the thicker firewall type dampening. Is that what you did?

Quote Originally Posted by artisticent View Post
    This was definitely a messy job scrapping away the residue of this section. I laid dynamat and also considering adding on top the thicker firewall type dampening. Is that what you did?
    Yup! You know what made that foam removal SO easy for me was just soaking the foam down with the Dow Scrubbing Bubbles cleaner. The kind that foams up real high on contact. After about a half hour sitting, the foam and adhesive all just wiped away and it smelled great in there to boot.

I put down dynamat on the triangular section as you can see, as well as on the firewall. Then I bolted my amp to the firewall board from the other side (the wooden one, not the structural fiberglass) and put new carpet pad foam on the wooden board before re-covering it with the carpeting. I wanted to preserve some of the squooshiness.
    Jon

Yup! You know what made that foam removal SO easy for me was just soaking the foam down with the Dow Scrubbing Bubbles cleaner. The kind that foams up real high on contact. After about a half hour sitting, the foam and adhesive all just wiped away and it smelled great in there to boot.

I put down dynamat on the triangular section as you can see, as well as on the firewall. Then I bolted my amp to the firewall board from the other side (the wooden one, not the structural fiberglass) and put new carpet pad foam on the wooden board before re-covering it with the carpeting. I wanted to preserve some of the squooshiness.
    I see your fuel shut off bottom right. Have you found that you use or need that? Also do you have a picture of your finished back panel, area behind seats?

I see your fuel shut off bottom right. Have you found that you use or need that? Also do you have a picture of your finished back panel, area behind seats?
    I’m not sure what you mean by fuel shutoff - do you mean the battery switch? I use it all the time, it’s a fantastic help when working on the car!

As for the parcel shelf, sure thing - this is after the total electrical compartment rebuild, the amp is installed behind the backer board, all the dynamat is in and the speakers are all replaced. I don’t keep the net installed because it’s really annoying ��

If you’re curious what’s behind the board, here it is. I got pretty creative with this install and was really happy with the results.

Last edited by jawn101; 08-12-2020 at 01:32 AM.
    Jon

I’m not sure what you mean by fuel shutoff - do you mean the battery switch? I use it all the time, it’s a fantastic help when working on the car!

As for the parcel shelf, sure thing - this is after the total electrical compartment rebuild, the amp is installed behind the backer board, all the dynamat is in and the speakers are all replaced. I don’t keep the net installed because it’s really annoying ��

If you’re curious what’s behind the board, here it is. I got pretty creative with this install and was really happy with the results.

Looks good man. Yeah it must be a battery kill. Good idea. You are thorough with the install. So to access your fuses for example you would remove the large grey panel, Then the black triangular piece to reveal fuses? I got the car semi taken apart so its interesting to see all the pieces for assembly.

Looks good man. Yeah it must be a battery kill. Good idea. You are thorough with the install. So to access your fuses for example you would remove the large grey panel, Then the black triangular piece to reveal fuses? I got the car semi taken apart so its interesting to see all the pieces for assembly.
    Ah, mines no different than anyone else’s in that regard. You just lift that thin piece of carpet that lays across the shelf, then pop out the wooden triangle that covers the electrical compartment. Easy peasy
    Jon

My VIN:    16109

Thanks for sharing this. Very clean install. How does the section with the amplifier install? How did you address air flow around the amp? I thought about doing something similar to hide the amp behind the bulkhead carpet but was concerned about not getting enough airflow around the amp (thought about installing small cooling fans).

Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanTech View Post
    Thanks for sharing this. Very clean install. How does the section with the amplifier install? How did you address air flow around the amp? I thought about doing something similar to hide the amp behind the bulkhead carpet but was concerned about not getting enough airflow around the amp (thought about installing small cooling fans).
    I deliberately bought a very expensive Class D amplifier (JBL XD400) that’s solid state and not prone to heat issues as a result to combat this. It’s not only smaller, but draws much less power and generates nearly zero heat as a result.

The board is just the stock parcel shelf back, so those wire loops at the bottom slot over the vertical black metal brackets, then the cargo net hooks secure it with screws from above.
    Jon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast